Desparately seeking a gear stick part - please help!

Featured Posts

Here's a photo of my gear lever. It's a Teleflex Marine SL3 Engine Control which was standard fit for Black Prince hire boats throughout the nineties.

STICK2013_0825_2003_52_zps78dbc3d2.jpg

And here is a photo of what it should look like (top left):

Teleflex-Schaltbox-Fernbedienung-SL3.jpg

You'll notice that other than one photo being sideways, summit is missing! The rubber button cover for the neutral throttle pushbutton pinged off and was lost a few weeks ago. (The white push-rod extension inside is safely stored elsewhere for now, it's just the button cover that's missing) I've contacted ASAP Supplies who don't stock anything like it and suggest I buy a whole new lever for £120-£200. I've contacted Black Prince at Stoke prior who have been lovely as always, but they too had trouble finding parts, although they were looking for new parts, I'll happily take second hand - Black Prince have no spare button covers and can only get them from the States for £53. Which is a lot of money for a small rubber disc. I'm hoping that through the wisdom of the forum, someone somewhere has an old lever lurking about that might include this kind of button cover - to save me replacing the whole lever?

The internal diameter of the hole that the button cover filled is about 28mm and it had a slight lip around it making the overall diameter 30mm. If anyone has anything, even from another make or model, that might just fit, I'd happily pay for it! Or if you have any ideas where else I can source one, that would be great.

Thanks. smile.png

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Ahay BSP. A new button could quite easily be made out of several items.

1.Select a new Jersey potato that is a snug fit in the hole, cut in half, bore a blind hole to take the actuating pin. This is only a temporary cure as the spud will shrivel, go bad and fall out.

2 If you can find say a plastic or hard rubber ball that fits the hole, again cut it in half and drill a blind hole for the pin.

3 Cast your own button by using a hardish setting silicone. Find a little cup of some sort with the same inside diameter as the levers hole, wipe a little veg oil around inside the cup so that the newly cast button releases from it,( just like making cup cakes), when cured and released from the mold cup again bore a blind hole for the pin.

4 To prevent the newly made button from popping out again and once you've adjusted the button and pin so it works to your satisfaction cut out a disc of say 2 or 3mm thick plasticard. Overall diameter say 3'' with a hole in the middle smaller than the hole in the lever, say 24mm dia. Once the new button assemble has been inserted this plasticard trap disc can be stuck onto the lever around the button to trap the button by abraiding both surfaces and sticking it on with Araldite, two part Epoxy resin. Never to pop out again. If there was a light compression spring in there as well, pop that in too.

Hope this helps. closedeyes.gif

Oooh ohh ohh! I've never heard of such a thing!!! What a great idea. You're my new favourite forum member. :P

Apart from the boyf of course (before I get into trouble)...