barton aqueduct congestion

DeanS

Featured Posts

Here's a pic showing congestion at the Barton Aqueduct on the Bridgewater.....;-) Actually, they had just swung the aqueduct open/closed, on the Manchester ship canal....I just missed it, but thought I'd take a pic...showing 5 boats (and us) all trying to get through at the same time :)

barton.JPG

Here's a pic showing congestion at the Barton Aqueduct on the Bridgewater.....;-) Actually, they had just swung the aqueduct open/closed, on the Manchester ship canal....I just missed it, but thought I'd take a pic...showing 5 boats (and us) all trying to get through at the same time :)

barton.JPG

Last time (the only time) we did Barton we had cruised for ages not meeting another boat, sod's law of course as soon as we approached from the south side there was boat already coming from the North........

Came over about 3 weeks ago and can definitely say its wide enough for 2 narrowboats to pass each other

Ian

It's wide enough for two NB's to pass with an insane canoeist almost between them!

I often wait there esp. if it is windy. I have had other boats cross when I have started though, then you are stuck with it. Usually not a problem, but as you say, neither is holding back a minute.

Interestingly, instead of waiting on the left where they were moored, the 2 boats on the right decided they would float over to the right side and wait there....which was a bit silly I thought....but no harm done. Perhaps they were in a rush and saved themselves a few seconds?

Being blown by the wind, or put right across the cut by your prop walk, thus getting in everyone's way?

Well that applies to anywhere that you might have to wait.