Charging system

lexicon

Featured Posts

Looking at adding a charger to the electrical system. Have 440amp of leisure batteries

Currently charged my a 70amp engine alternator and a 235w solar system.

Looking at adding a 30amp charger( possibly one capable of a equalisation charge.)

With a shoreline connection to plug a genny too that I can use for charging.

Any recommendations for good value kit?

Cannot really advise as mine came with the boat

but wink.png

If it was me I would go with the matching charger to my inverter (assuming you have one and not a combi)

You could go a little bigger (amps) with the charger but then may have a problem with the generator, if not big enough, running the charger.

What size charger

There will be lots of advice, so hang on to your hat.

smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

30A at 15v (worst case) is 450watts even allowing for a the charger not being 100% efficent your 900W genny should be more than adequate to run it. Just check the '900w' Genny rating as that might be 'peak' load not continuous or include any 12v Dc output. The 'stated' output of a genny as in "acme900" doesn't always mean it will run a 900W load continuously - its usually nearer 650 or 700W in truth.

I've a sterling pro 20A and it does what it says on the tin ! Others have used cheaper multistage chargers from ebay and still others will swear that sterling are crap and you should spend even more on 'better makes' however you decide what constitutes a better make (price as far as I can tell)

you might want to consider a larger charger as in theory you won't have to run your genny for as long but it will depend on how much you take out of your batteries before deciding to charge them again.

The genny will be a 900w continuous rated as I looked at the specs.

Don't see much point in having a larger charger as the batteries when charging from the alternator drop to about 10amp on ammeter quite quick and the extra charger capacity is then wasted especially above 80% charge.

So will plan on this system unless a compelling argue net not to appears soon .

I think you may have missed the point of the intelligent chargers, they are designed to work more effectively than a simple alternator or 'car battery' charger. The voltage/current supplied is designed to maximise the charge into the battery, and on a simple basis the bigger the charger the quicker it will be to recover the batteries to full charge (and the less you will have to run your gennerator), but as always other factors come into play. I would say with a 440ah bank you could go for a bigger charger (within reason !) but nothing wrong with your choice of 30A, Thats what I was told i needed for my 330Ah bank, but I went for 20A as I am marina based and there is plenty of time for the charger to charge the batteries. (and money was another factor !)

Always worth a check of the smartgauge pages on these matters.