fishing on the Stourport ring

TimB

Featured Posts

Hello,

My lad is keen to do some fishing when we cruise the Stourport Ring next week. I have the licence but I am no fisherman.

Does not matter what we catch just a bit of fun...so.........

What bait and size hook would be favourite ?

THANKS

Hello,

My lad is keen to do some fishing when we cruise the Stourport Ring next week. I have the licence but I am no fisherman.

Does not matter what we catch just a bit of fun...so.........

What bait and size hook would be favourite ?

THANKS

Blimey where do I start? It depends on what you want to fish for and what method. I assume you will be float fishing? If so use a loaded waggler, around 3lb bs main line line and a size 18 hook with red maggots as bait. Get a catapult and keep firing a half a dozen or so of maggots after every cast, set your float at different depths until you start getting bites and you will get some idea wherethe fish are.

That should at least get you a few bites but as I said there are many different rigs and methods you can use, depending on what species you want to fish for.

Hope that helps!

Edited by paul68

One more question....I am going to order maggots ( live ) in the post. How long can I store & temperature.

Ta

I am no fisherman but I think I heard somewhere keep them in the fridge. The cold temp slows down the metabolism and prevents them pupating and turning into insects (I think).

One more question....I am going to order maggots ( live ) in the post. How long can I store & temperature.

Ta

Easier to get them from a tackle shop? Yes as Jerra says keep them cool, I usually throw any unused ones away as they are cheap enough but sometimes I put some in a spare fridge if I am going fishing soon afterwards. Just make sure wherever you keep them the lid is on firmly! After a couple of weeks they will all hatch into flies and believe me, I speak from experience, you really don't want thousands of flies on the loose!

• Greenie 1