Renting A Widebeam

Chris83

Featured Posts

As it says, may be changing jobs, which would mean moving abroad for a bit.

My boats a 52x10, single bedroom. 2011 build. Needs craining / survery etc 2015 if I remember rightly so good for that side of things.

Pump out toilet, diesel heaters etc etc.

No mooring as this is tied in with my work.

Has anyone rented a boat, how risky the fact it can be moved- trackers a realistic option?

Any advice welcome please!

Oooh real can of worms. Well, you need a mooring to rent a boat legally. You need a different boat safety certificate and your boat might need welding in order to pass this. The insurance is more, you need a business license and other stuff.

Plenty of people do it without and then find out the hard way that there's no comeback when things go wrong.

Yes there are risks. We hear about quite a few thefts on Canalworld. Quite recently we heard about a rented boat that had been altered by the tenant and repainted, paperwork changed with CRT and then sold on to someone else. If you're out of the country, even if you do fit a tracker, this isn't going to tell you if they've welded and repainted it, it could be sold by the time you find out what has happened.

I personally would never recommend anyone do this, especially not with a stranger, just too many risks.

ETA I note you're on the Thames and I'm taking about the canals - does anyone know about EA requirements, because I have no idea?

Edited by Lady Muck

As it says, may be changing jobs, which would mean moving abroad for a bit.

My boats a 52x10, single bedroom. 2011 build. Needs craining / survery etc 2015 if I remember rightly so good for that side of things.

Pump out toilet, diesel heaters etc etc.

No mooring as this is tied in with my work.

Has anyone rented a boat, how risky the fact it can be moved- trackers a realistic option?

Any advice welcome please!

As Lady Muck has said - you need a pile of extra 'things' (like insurance, business licence, BSS etc) (and - I believe - a mooring)

And should speak to the Navigation Authority regarding your aspiration.

I suspect that the cost, and your tax implications, will not make the exercise worthwhile - let alone the risk of damage & theft

Thats great- thanks all.

Now need to work out what to do with my life instead of the rental option:

Option 1, stay in the UK, keep the boat- lifes (job, location etc) ok, could be better.

Option 2, been offered a job on an island of the coast of NZ! Population of 900. No mains power, water etc (so like living on the boat!). Would mean selling the boat, moving away etc... If didnt like it, then no boat to come back to!

Hmmm, decisions...

Buy another boat when you come back. Plenty for sale

Yer, thats the easy option. Guess i'm just being soppy as its our 1st home, not just a boat for pleasure.

Lift your boat out, mothball it, that gives you a few years whilst you decide if living as a Kiwi hermit suits you

Would suit, if wasnt paying back my loan each month. Is only £500 a month, but that was why I was looking at renting it to pay that.