Water Level On River Nene Rising

Featured Posts

Our part of the Old River Nene (known locally as Well Creek) looks normal this morning - but, as we have a downward-facing lock (Marmont Priory) only half a mile away, it would be startling if it didn't.

We had a quite long power cut last night, at least two hours; whether this was anything to do with heavy rainfall (which we also had) I don't know. If so, parts of the Nene could be on the brisk side today.

Edited by Athy

as we have a downward-facing lock (Marmont Priory) only half a mile away, it would be startling if it didn't.

Not to mention a weir down to Old Popham's Eau (and ultimately the Middle Level Main Drain) at Nordelph.

The only way I can imagine the level in Well Creek going up significantly is if the EA mess it up and the Old Bedford overflows via the weir at Salter's Lode. Even then you wouldn't see much where you are, most of the water would flow Salters Lode to Nordelph and then away.

MP.

ETA. Of course if Paul were to have a problem with that shiny stainless-steel gate at Salters Lode and fail to close it before a high tide, that would make the level in Well Creek very interesting. I believe the MLC are considering making the inner gates on the lock taller as a backup in just such a situation.

Edited by MoominPapa