Avon Ring - Harmony Narrowboats

Blue Crane

Featured Posts

We are now looking at doing the Avon Ring in September next year. Does anyone have any info on Harmony Narrowboats? We rather like the look of Amelia and would love some feedback on the company.

I have read some of the threads that cover the Avon Ring and my only concern is the possibility of flooding and the rivers being closed for navigation. Statistically what are the chances of this happening in September? If at the time we are unable to do the ring because of flooding what alternative route/s from Evesham could we consider. Again our interest is in historical towns/villages, gardens and places of scenic beauty.

We are just two adults (senior citizens), reasonably fit and active and have done three narrowboat trips before, the K & A from Melksham to Bristol and back, the GU from Leighton Buzzard to Rugby & Napton and back and the Rochdale from Sowerby Bridge to Todmorden and the Aire and Calder to Stanley Ferry and back to SB. Whilst this is by no means extensive experience we have managed to work the locks fairly efficiently but have never had to deal with flights as we would on the Avon Ring. From Canalplanner it would seem that the Avon Ring is easily done over two weeks with approximately 5 hours cruising per day but how strenuous would those 5 hours be? We would still like to walk and explore our surroundings for the remaining daylight hours - would we be taking on too much?

Hello there.

The Avon ring is comfortably doable in two weeks, the wife & I have done it. We're not doing the ring but are presently sat on the ANT mooring at Wyre Lock, one of our favourites.

In 2007 the Avon suffered dreadful floods & was closed for any sort of navigation in July, let alone September. That was exceptional though & it really does depend on rainfall which can & and does close the Avon & the Severn. As Evesham is halfway up the Avon you would then be stuck as there are no other routes from Evesham. I've no idea what hire companies do in those circumstances, best to ask them I think.

Steve

Hi, we are also fairly senior in the citizens class, and did the Avon ring easily in 2 weeks. The only big flights are not too hard. We had a complete day off in Stratford, and the other days were quite relaxed.

As sharpness has said, if the Avon is in flood then you are stuck. But if the Severn only is flooded there is plenty of historical and interesting stuff on the Avon and the Stratford canal.

But I suppose the chances of one river being flooded and not the other are slim!

If you want to, you can do much more than just the Avon ring in two weeks from Evesham.

I'd suggest the following:

River Avon to Tewkesbury - River Severn to Stourport - Staffs & Worcs to Stourton - Stourbridge Canal - Dudley no.1 and no. 2 canals - Netherton tunnel - old/new BCN Main Line to Central Brum - Birmingham & worcs Canal - Stratford Canal - Avon back to Evesham.

We'll do a similar cruise ( 2-handed, SWMBO and me) in a couple of weeks time, but taking a less direct route with a few other diversions, and we still find time to have "days off" from cruising.

If you go from the Avon up to the Birmingham level of 453 feet you'll need to do roughly the same number of locks whichever way you go.

Depends on your personal preferance, really. We like exploring waterways by boat. Maybe you prefer exploring on foot.

Floods on the Avon are dependant on the British weather, which (as our wonderful Met Office never ceases to demonstrate) is virtually unpredictable.

I'm inclined to agree with Paul G, though it might be sensible to moderate his suggestion

Off the top, how's about variations on the ring by going into Brum and visiting the University, Jewellery Quarter and even a trip to the Black Country Museum at Dudley? Moorings overnight by the NIA and BCM are good and (surprisingly) quiet.

There aren't many places to moor on the Avon and even fewer on the Severn - so that will curtail your walking... To my mind exploring urban areas - provided you stay off the main vehicle routes can be very rewarding - there's some tremendous architecture away from the main drag, that said even the Bull Ring has something to offer.

You've discovered CanalPlan so have a play with some alternatives.

The main lockage in and out of the city comes in lumps with nowhere to stop in the flights, but you work through them quickly in practice - 3-4 hours per group is my guess (I never time it when we go).

If you are going to be booking it well in advance and are investing it air fare too, my suggestion would be that you book with a hire base on the canal part of the Avon Ring, then it the weather is poor and the river sections are out you can still have you holiday just sticking to canals.

The Avon Ring in 2 weeks is a piece of cake, you will have a couple energetic days that is all.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from the Avon Ring. Some nuggets we picked up: Avon drains the rainfall over the Midlands while Severn drains rainfall over Wales, so it is possible/likely (I'm told) that one can be in flood and t'other not; Avon was relatively quiet, plenty of options to moor at the limited number of mooring sites available; Some canal planners suggest there are visitor moorings at Bredon, there aren't; The Avon guide from ANT is moderately useful, but even that was misleading in places; The best moorings in Stratford are on the opposite side of the River from the RSC, not in the basin IMHO (plus you can pick up RSC-visitor WiFi from acroos the river); Avon and Stratford canal were pretty and pleasant, Severn was dull and Upton was wedged.

Edited by westwd