Fuel stabiliser (petrol engines)

blackrose

Featured Posts

I'm about to put my outboard on the dinghy and go out on the river as it's been sitting doing nothing for a few weeks.

I try to start up my (largely unused) petrol generator and outboard every few weeks to keep them maintained, but in the outboard user's manual under "STORAGE" it says that you should fill the tank with a fuel stabiliser and run the engine before storing.

I'd never heard of fuel stabilisers before - are they used as a fuel additive or replacement, and if I use one does it mean I can just leave a petrol engine for a prolonged period without using it or am I better off starting the engine occasionally?

Depends how old the outboard is..Unleaded petrol has bio ethanol in it which eats brass, copper and rubber.Best to run it out of fuel before storage..I have just stripped a carb on a marine petrol engine,which has been out of use for 18 months.It was full of a white cotton wool like growth..I have read that two stroke goes off quicker than straight petrol.My experience is that two stroke mixed with synthetic two stroke oil will last better than straight petrol?Dont know of any storage additive that will work..

Depends how old the outboard is..Unleaded petrol has bio ethanol in it which eats brass, copper and rubber.Best to run it out of fuel before storage..I have just stripped a carb on a marine petrol engine,which has been out of use for 18 months.It was full of a white cotton wool like growth..I have read that two stroke goes off quicker than straight petrol.My experience is that two stroke mixed with synthetic two stroke oil will last better than straight petrol?Dont know of any storage additive that will work..

I bought my outboard second hand but it hasn't been run-in yet so it's basically new. It's a 4 stroke. I guess 2 stroke fuel goes off quicker in an engine because of the oil content.

This site has a fuel stabiliser for sale: http://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/Fuel_Stabiliser.html

Add this fuel preserver to your engine and it will help to keep your fuel fresh and your carburettor clean for easier starting, all season long. It will also improve engine performance.

• Prevents fuel deterioration during periods of non-use and generally aids engine efficiency.
  • Essential for correct winter storage of mowers etc.

For use in 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines. Stabilises fuel for up to 24 months.

I have never heard of it either. For lawn mowers, I prefer to run them dry

It does sound like a sensible precaution for an outboard

Educational here, isn't it

Richard

Edited by RLWP