Inverted Head Bolt on J Series

NorthwichTrader

Featured Posts

Does anyone know the thread/bolt size on the inverted head bolt (Stud) on the J Series?

would you run-up without them? I'm sure they're pretty critical, and I have every intention of fitting them, but I do know of J's that have run with them sheared off for years!

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

1/2 BSF IIRC. Might be 7/16 but I don't think so. I would not run for long without them, but it depends how well the heads are stuck down by other things. A blow in the wrong place would do either the top of the cylinder no good or the head.

Easy to get at to undo the nut, once you have the injectors out of the way, which is not always easy! Never easy to get the stud out of the head- drill and re-tap job probably but you could use a stack of head gaskets to get the centre right. Or, if you have the right transfer punch it might just be possible to mark the centre with the head on the cylinder.

N

Many thanks, once again! Did the Kelvin series stick with BSF, even after it was phased out in the mid 40's, mine's a '56?

Fortunately, I haven't got any tapping to do, I just need to get the right sized bolts!

Just out of interest, is it your understanding that the J series is diesel timed at 9 degrees? To my reckoning, that places the timing mark on a J flywheel at less than 2" from TDC?

Again, thank-you!

Best regards,

Stuart

Edit: bolts are a real struggle for me, what's the IIRC bit in reference too, I'm guessing hardness?

Edited by NorthwichTrader