VM? Aircooled Diesel

zoeper

Featured Posts

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and landed here due to a search for Engine spares.

Please pardon me for barging straight in for help, but desperate times call for desperate measures...
I recently bought a machine that I was led to believe was a Deutch air cooled 3 Cyl Diesel.
It turn out to be either a copy of, or something completely different.
At the moment I have problems with the Fuel lift pump in as much as the diaphragms are perished and in need of replacement.
I have thus far been unsuccessful in obtaining either a replacement pump or diaphragm kit for this pump.

The PCD of the 6x M5 bolt holes is 58mm and so is the OD of the flange clamping the diaphragms.
The distance between the two M8 mounting bolts is 44mm
Can anyone here identify the engine and a possible supplier of spares?
What material might be suitable to manufacture a new diaphragm from? (Resistant to Diesel fuel)

Any help in this regard will be much appreciated.
Happy boating!
Pieter

WP_20130626_009_resize_zps9cc71161.jpg

WP_20130626_005_resize_zps98b53ad7.jpg

WP_20130604_001c_zps7bbb5ce2.jpg

WP_20130626_006_resize_zps3ce7763c.jpg

Well a simple bit of Googling gives loads of hits to suggest it may be a product of VM Motori an Italian firm that "Wiki" says manufactured air cooled diesels.

But I guess you know that much already?

From Wiki.....

Listing of different VM Motori diesels....

Edited by alan_fincher

VM is part of Detroit Diesel.

Some years ago, I built a number of diesel-powered pumping modules for Jet A-1. These used VM SUN engines, which proved to be virtually indestructible, even when installed in remote locations in Peru, Egypt, etc. The worldwide availability of spares was a key issue in selecting the make/type of engine, so it should be relatively simple to find an official UK agent.

I remember that I bought some of the engines from http://www.dieselpower.co.uk/

They may be able to help with spares.

Chris G

Alan/ Tim/ Chris-B/ Chris-G,

Thank you for the quick response!

Yes i did did have a look at VM Motori on the web before, but if they ever did make this engine, I could find no resemblance to anything near it on their website. From the nameplate on the engine it was also not clear if it is VM or YM (just to confuse things even more...)

The engine drives a 20KVA 3phase genset, so no pump unit attached.

I am not familiar with AC Delco, but i will look into that as well.

Dieselpower does list VM as one of the brands they support, so i will give them a call in the morning and see if i can come up with anything from there. I sure hope the indestructible part holds true for my engine, cause if it is that hard to find a lift pump for it, i would hate to start looking for engine spares!

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Pieter

Hi Pieter, I guess you are in S.Africa judging by your member details, I looked up VM Motori.it website in Italy and clicked on world and a spares dealer in Cape Town came up. Their email is penpower@mweb.co.za (peninsula power products PO box 61, 7420 Cape Town, phone no - +27 021-5115061.

Hope this helps.