alternative to using an inverter?

squarelips

Featured Posts

The costs of any duff decisions you make are surely unlikely to be met by sharing them out around 35,000 boat owners, each paying a bit out of their licence costs?

Sorry, 35,000 boaters wouldn't be involved would they, it would be my cable & I'd be buying it pending a successful outcome with tonight's draw.

Are you sure you've got the drift of this?

Sorry, 35,000 boaters wouldn't be involved would they, it would be my cable & I'd be buying it pending a successful outcome with tonight's draw.

Are you sure you've got the drift of this?

I don't think your batteries will last very long if you're supplying 35,000 boaters

You're going to have to look very closely at your charging regime

......... sounds like the pikies nicking your £2M cable are going to be the least of your worries

I don't think your batteries will last very long if you're supplying 35,000 boaters

You're going to have to look very closely at your charging regime

......... sounds like the pikies nicking your £2M cable are going to be the least of your worries

Oh no, the other boaters can get their own. I ain't no charity.

cool.png

hi everyone-

we use an inverter on our batteries to charge our mobiles/laptops.

I am looking for an alternative now as i don't like running the inverter as ive been told its wastefull and not good for my batteries in the long term.

we dont use it all that much but is there any alternative?

what do you use for electrical appliances?

we dont have much money so we are looking at the next step up from using an inverter.... not a really expensive ultimate solution.

thanks for all your help!

thank you.

Some people have this idea that inverters are bad for batteries. An inverter may use an amp to power itself so there's not much point leaving it on if you aren't using it. But apart from that, the inverter itself is not the problem - it's the high-power demand mains appliances that people run from their inverters that may be bad for the batteries (if the batteries aren't being charged properly). It can also low-power appliances that are left on for long periods.

It's generally going to be more efficient to charge your mobiles & laptop direct from 12v because you won't incur the 1 amp that your inverter consumes in the process. However, if you are running several appliances from your inverter at the same time then that 1 amp can be allocated to all those appliances, so although the difference between the inverter and 12v direct is still 1 amp, it's really negligeable.

Edited by blackrose