Which battery charger to run on Honda2.0I?

trebby91

Featured Posts

Hi, Ditchdabber.

The link you sent was for a Digital Panel Meter!

Actually the full story is I have a Sterling 2600 inverter charger it charges at 80 Amps when connected to a shore line but it hates the Honda 2.0I generator!

The revs on the generator rise to a normal high and after a few seconds the inverter kicks out the revs drop the inverter kicks in so the generator revs up causing a constant see saw in the revs and the charge going on and off.

So to solve I thought I would just buy a battery charger to run off the generator but looking around I have not seen any with an output anything near the 80 Amps I get from the inverter/charger.

Regards, Brian.

Just tried the link and it worked for me. I think however 60 amps is the biggest charger they do although you should check with them.

My eu2i had a switch which set the machine to a constant output. Have you tried this this. Perhaps the changing demand from the inverter charger is too quick for the genny to respond.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Funny tried the link twice got "LCD Cigarette Lighter Voltage Digital Panel Meter Volt Voltmeter" just tried it again and it worked OK.!

If I set it to constant output it still does the same thing only faster.

Just had a look at the charger seems OK and it only requires 900 Watts input, Got a feeling that the EU2I has not got enough output for the inverter/charger that I have as it runs OK on mains

Actually the full story is I have a Sterling 2600 inverter charger it charges at 80 Amps when connected to a shore line but it hates the Honda 2.0I generator!

The revs on the generator rise to a normal high and after a few seconds the inverter kicks out the revs drop the inverter kicks in so the generator revs up causing a constant see saw in the revs and the charge going on and off.

So to solve I thought I would just buy a battery charger to run off the generator but looking around I have not seen any with an output anything near the 80 Amps I get from the inverter/charger.

Regards, Brian.

I've got a Honda Eu20i, and a Sterling Pro Combi S 2500W inverter charger which charges at 80A like yours. It all works fine. It sounds like something is asking for more power, sporadically, which is making the generator hunt. If I run my coffee maker off the generator, it hunts around because it ask for loads of peer then a little then a lot.... And so on.

If I run my second 25A charger at the same time as the inverter charger, the whole thing draws about 100A fine but, when the system exceeds the smaller chargers Absorbtion voltage, (14.4v), the aps drawn seem to vary a lot, and the generator hunts until I turn the small charger off - I don't run them together, other than as a bit of a test in the early days.

Have you got something 240V drawing big, but sporadic, power through the inverter, at the same time as you are charging?

There is nothing other than a 12 volt fridge and freezer running when charging.

If yours runs OK then it would seem I have a problem but I don`t see where as everything on the boat works OK and there is no abnormal drain on the batteries.

Following Pete's thoughts, what does the plug look like? Also run a vacuum over the air filter if you can.

I'm guessing you have an EU20i - the "silent" one in the plastic case? Are you running on petrol or LPG?

There is a switch on it with a tortoise and hare on one side and just a hare on the other side. Switch it to the hare before starting it and do so with the combi off. Wait a couple of minutes and then turn it on. It probably doesn't always need to be this complex but this way, we know that the alternator is up to speed and running at open throttle before a load is applied.

You have two good pieces of equipment there, throwing more money at it probably is not the solution :-)