Battery type

Featured Posts

The screw driver needs to fit the slot (completely), try tightening them first, no to much.

It would be a good idea to remove them to check the electrolyte levels but would expect you to be able to charge it as it is, we all do it all the time on our boats and cars etc.

If they will not come out fairly easily, I'm not convinced that it is not a sealed battery.

Some sealed batteries seem to only differ from unsealed ones by the "plugs" being glued in, and, despite the slot, if it is one of those, they'll not easily come out.

On the other hand, though, it maybe unsealed, and they are just a bit tight. (Helpful -aren't I - NOT!)

As Keith says, if the screwdriver is not a good fit for the slot, the plastic may give way in any attempts to shift the,.

I need to charge this battery....can anyone tell me whether I am meant to undo the tops of the cells ...they are plastic and have a depression for a screw driver but they don't want to be easily undone

battery.jpg

It is a good idea to if only to check the electolite level. Don't use a screwdriver. A 2p coin is the buiz with a bit of help from some plyers if required.

The coin goes an interesting colour if you leave it on the battery bank.

taslim.

• Greenie 1

To assess whether its sealed or not, look around the sides (top edge) and if not sealed, there will be a vent. It will have a circular fiting approx. 1/4", to allow a small tube to be attached to it (some installations eg caravans and motorhomes have batteries installed with a vent tube to the exterior of the vehicle, obviously boats don't because their hull is watertight).

I need to charge this battery....can anyone tell me whether I am meant to undo the tops of the cells ...they are plastic and have a depression for a screw driver but they don't want to be easily undone

battery.jpg

Looks like a standard '643' truck batt size. smile.png

If there's no vents holes in the caps then it's probably a sealed 'maintenance free' batt and you can leave them in for normal charging. The acid levels should be fine as long as the batt isn't defective or been grossly overcharged.

It shouldn't gas hardly at all under normal charging unless the batt is defective, as other say there should be a tiny vent on the side of the case to release any gas. Even so do follow all the safety precautions on The Battery FAQ (google).

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete