Insurance Question

jmj

Featured Posts

A friend is planning to buy a boat, which he will lend me occasionally.

When he got an insurance quote he was told that it covered 'any driver' providing he was there.

When I borrow it, he won't be there, so they said I would have to take out my own policy.

DAK if this is a universal thing, or did he just speak to the office boy or the wrong company?

thanks

John

I have always understood that any 'responsible' person was fully insured, the one exception was when my friend was taking my boat down the Severn, I think I was insured with Michael Stimpson at the time, they asked me to send a letter stating my friends competance and so on and all was ok.

Could you let us know what company your friend is insured with, seems a bit heavy handed, is his wife insured ?

I think there is something in law that says you can't insure property that is not your own.

Edited by John Orentas

I specifically asked this question of my insurers, Haven Knox-Johnston.

They basically said that as long as it was with my permission and they were competent people there was no problem.

I had in mind family members - sons etc, and the odd friend. (not a friend that is odd - I've several of those but would think twice about lending them my boat.)

• 3 weeks later...

I was (briefly) insured with Axa through a broker.

a month after I got my policy form in, they (the broker) mailed me to say the were cancelling the policy as it didn't suit my needs, because, get this, when they asked who would be using my boat I said "my parents, my wife and sister" will occasionally steer.

and best of it was, the broker wouldn't tell me why, my wife had to sweet talk the brokers secretary.

I'm still furious and it's been 4 months. if you meet me in person, ask me the name of the broker, but not if you don't like swearing. <_<

I specifically asked this question of my insurers, Haven Knox-Johnston.

They basically said that  as long as it was with my permission and they were competent people there was no problem.

I had in mind family members - sons etc, and the odd friend.  (not a friend that is odd - I've several of those but would think twice about lending them my boat.)

On the surface that sounds OK, but if you lend your boat to someone who subsequently has an accident which you claim for I suppose they (the insurance company) could argue that the person you loaned it to, in view of the accident, was not a competent person. Ergo not a valid claim.

Just a thought.

Edited by maffi mushkila

After much research I insured with Michael Stimpson, (Tel 01923 770425). His policy was a little more expensive to start with but gives a starter discount if you have been insured before. The no claim bonus rises to 40%.

Anyone is insured to helm, with or without me on board, if they have my permission.

Rod Fox

• 1 month later...
I think there is something in law that says you can't insure property that is not your own.

I don't know where you got that one from John. You can insure your car for any driver without naming them, so why not a boat?

After much research I insured with Michael Stimpson, (Tel 01923 770425). His policy was a little more expensive to start with but gives a starter discount if you have been insured before. The no claim bonus rises to 40%. 

Anyone is insured to helm, with or without me on board, if they have my permission.

Rod Fox

I am with Michael Stimpson as well, He used to be a bit more expensive but is actually very competitive now, and the policies tend to give more cover than some other companies. There is certainly no problem with other people using the boat with my consent, and he even allows me to single hand on the non-tidal Thames