Bish bash bosh

Cheese please

Featured Posts

Beware the morning Bish Bash Bosh. Having our morning yawn at the Audlem music and arts festy when the unmistakable sound of a very large prop grew to the point that you brace yourself in a Star Trek way for the impact. It arrived hitting our tow ball mounted bikes which are ok as they can swivel, the re positioning of various items around the boat did not take long and no breakages there either. But during the sub sequent remonstrations that took place I asked the skipper who was so keen to barge his 70 footish boat out from the bank to grab lock 12 before the boat that was exiting lock 13 if he had any crew to assist with manoeuvring or fending off. The reply "yes in bed". He blamed the whole thing on our bikes tagged on the back of our 57 footer.So if he had stolen the lock (which he never achieved in the end) would he also have expected the crew of the boat behind to have worked him up the locks? Eventually he did apologise and ask about damage. I stil hate inconsiderate b******s.

Ajax 46568 is the first entry in the black book.

By the way the festy is brilliant, come, bring all your friends, enjoy the sun, the bands, the beer, the place, the people......

Yes, re opened about a month ago, I am told. They have managed to be a large part of the do taking place here this weekend considering that the pub has not long reopened. I wish them success, the demise of pubs is a terrible thing, etc etc.

I say again, great event and great atmosphere here this weekend.

Not so much of a Greek mythological hero but more of a Homer Simpson character it seems.

Anyone wishing to steal a lock from a fellow boater should have their testicles served up on a plate. If that rapscallion has disturbed my cheese quota then I'm going after him up the flight. It's a good job that the festival's on where decent folk are out to enjoy the occasion and idiots like this are soon forgotten about.

More ale to be tasted today just in case it goes off and with a bit of luck the sun shall continue to bless the merry people of this little English enclave. We shall be visiting the Cheese Please boat at some point during the proceedings, hopefully before we've imbibed too much falling down water whereby the glazed look in our eyes will overtake whatever common sense we can muster.

Please remove the cocktail sticks from the samples prior to our arrival as Paddy usually gags on them!

Edited by Doorman

Was moored in Audlem ten days ago got hit by a share boat for no apprent reason l could see no sorry or anything.

Days later was moored in nantwich,bang hit again looked out to see same boat with the same prat "steering" !

Again not a word !

14skipper

Was moored in Audlem ten days ago got hit by a share boat for no apprent reason l could see no sorry or anything.

Days later was moored in nantwich,bang hit again looked out to see same boat with the same prat "steering" !

Again not a word !

14skipper

Seems to be a local thing maybe ? Or just the way manners are on the decline.....

Last time we were down that way we were nudged twice by 'shared' boats exiting the audlum locks & were hit very hard on the stern (Outboard) whilst on the water point at Ellesmere. I counted to ten , then asked if apologies were not the norm around this area - This gave way to the start of a big row , at which I loosed the ropes and left in an extreme bad temper,commenting on their boating skills - It seemed the best option as the skippers wife seemed adamant for fisticuffs on the bank !

We took the boat name , and checked for damage at the next lock, just a chip on the cowl paint. When we mentioned it to locals it seemed apparent that the said craft owners had rubbed up most to a point where no one would speak to them !

Sometimes due to lack of concentration / wind (not personal) or other conditions a collision can happen, but not to apologise if it is your fault (Although your policy may say otherwise if damage has occurred) is just plain rude !

Seems to be a local thing maybe ? Or just the way manners are on the decline.....

Last time we were down that way we were nudged twice by 'shared' boats exiting the audlum locks & were hit very hard on the stern (Outboard) whilst on the water point at Ellesmere. I counted to ten , then asked if apologies were not the norm around this area - This gave way to the start of a big row , at which I loosed the ropes and left in an extreme bad temper,commenting on their boating skills - It seemed the best option as the skippers wife seemed adamant for fisticuffs on the bank !

We took the boat name , and checked for damage at the next lock, just a chip on the cowl paint. When we mentioned it to locals it seemed apparent that the said craft owners had rubbed up most to a point where no one would speak to them !

Sometimes due to lack of concentration / wind (not personal) or other conditions a collision can happen, but not to apologise if it is your fault (Although your policy may say otherwise if damage has occurred) is just plain rude !

We all make mistakes and sometimes due to weather conditions they are difficult to avoid, but a simple apology goes a long way to appeasing the victim of your follies. If ever we encounter a GRP cruiser we take extra care, whether in mooring up near to them or especially when sharing a lock.

There seems to be a subconscious belief amongst many narrowboat owners that it's perfectly acceptable to bounce off one another in order to navigate through narrow openings or whilst mooring up. And in doing so, forgetting that the contents of the boat, whether human or otherwise are superfluous to consideration.

With regard to shared boats possibly being a local thing you could be right. At Nantwich and Overwater marina there are shared boats moored up in readiness for their 'part time' owners to take to the waters in acts of destruction and aloofness. They should be given extra consideration whilst approaching as many of them will have been boating for over twenty years (in one or two weekly slots per year).

The aloofness displayed by some, not all shared boaters, perplexes us two boat owners as they cruise past us. It's as if there is some higher social standing to be gained in sharing your passion with many others, rather than owning the boat outright. I believe that our fellow forum member 'Comfortably Numb' has a share in the boat named 'Cropredy' and maybe he could shed some light on this phenomena.

Do it slowly and then at half that pace when in close proximity to other boats and you'll be about right - weather conditions (especially wind) make things a bit more difficult. The important thing that everyone should remember that there may be a hot kettle and/or hot fat on the stove which, if spilled, can be life threatening. All for the sake of a lock ahead of someone else or getting there 10 minutes early is not worth it but I fear, on this forum, I am 'preaching to the converted'.

The important thing that everyone should remember that there may be a hot kettle and/or hot fat on the stove which, if spilled, can be life threatening. All for the sake of a lock ahead of someone else or getting there 10 minutes early is not worth it but I fear, on this forum, I am 'preaching to the converted'.

You are Kathryn,

It's just a pity that many more boaters don't follow the forum and read about these experiences. It might just educate them above their own selfish thoughts and instil some consideration for others. As I write this reply there goes another boater flying past us to the next lock, then frustratingly waiting for his crew member to catch up on foot to set it in readiness for the next speed trial.

We are lucky to be on the offside of the cut and securely moored to pilings, I've lost count of how many times we've had our double mooring pins ripped out by some clown with a jet ski mentality whilst on the towpath side of the canal.

It might not do any good but you never know :-) I have mentioned on the EX OS forum about the preceived behaviour of shared boats in the Audlem area. I appreciate that there are other shared boats besides the Ex Os ones and they may or may not be the guilty parties. There are ex Challenger as well as privately run shared ownership boats around. In the old days (!) a phone call to the late Allan Matthews would usually ensure that an inconsiderate boater was "spoken to" and presumably the same happenned with Ed Rimmer but these avenues for complaint don't now exist.

haggis

Edited by haggis

• 3 weeks later...

It might not do any good but you never know :-) I have mentioned on the EX OS forum about the preceived behaviour of shared boats in the Audlem area. I appreciate that there are other shared boats besides the Ex Os ones and they may or may not be the guilty parties. There are ex Challenger as well as privately run shared ownership boats around. In the old days (!) a phone call to the late Allan Matthews would usually ensure that an inconsiderate boater was "spoken to" and presumably the same happenned with Ed Rimmer but these avenues for complaint don't now exist.

haggis

This might go "ouch!" but here goes.... Wasn't one of Chalengers sales patters something along the lines of Well madam,sir, if you buy a share in this boat you will have the other boaters beckoning you to the front of the que at locks lift bridges etc with gay abandon blah blah blah. I write this with a small amount of tounge in cheek but the gist (kist gyst) of it comes from somewhere.

This might go "ouch!" but here goes.... Wasn't one of Chalengers sales patters something along the lines of Well madam,sir, if you buy a share in this boat you will have the other boaters beckoning you to the front of the que at locks lift bridges etc with gay abandon blah blah blah. I write this with a small amount of tounge in cheek but the gist (kist gyst) of it comes from somewhere.

Never mind all of this 'boat share battering' where are you now?

This might sound like an invitation to plug your wares and if it does, who cares! :-)

Leaving Castlefield this morning for Lymm. Week long festy with many events taking place in the town and on the canal.

Transport is the theme for Sunday and we will be spreading the cheese love around from Thursday.

We will catch up with you guys at the Audlem transport festival 27-28 July, can't wait.

Saw the lady with the dogs that you speak of at gnosal, I wish all people who camp on tow path were as tidy as she is.

Saw the lady with the dogs that you speak of at gnosal, I wish all people who camp on tow path were as tidy as she is.

I wish all the people who use the towpath were as pleasant and tidy as she is, especially the dog owners!