in-water surveys

Featured Posts

We need to get a hull survey done on our barge. Haulout on our waterway is very difficult - basically we are looking at having to arrange crane hire for a day. Any nearby locations where we could be craned out aren't suitable for repair work either.

Has anyone here had an in-water hull survey done? Who did you use and what were the costs?

Their dock looks large enough.

I'm out of touch with the routes these days - can you get to castleford via goole? I'm pretty sure Selby is no good for us.

It's quite an investment in time to get to Castleford - a full day to Goole (realistically, allowing for tide). Then probably the same to castleford. So 4 days to get there and back.

I guess nobody here has had underwater surveys done. I know it's possible and is done on ships all the time.

erm, trying to remember rough dimensions.

Hull just under 5m beam - but we have leeboards that add about 30cm each side.

Length - 19.7m honest ;) then there is the rudder (about 3m) and the non-retractable bit of the bowsprit - about 3m

So say 5.7m beam max and max overall length 27m. Air draft is about 3.5m with the mast down.

I have a bit of work to do - the poor thing has been neglected for too long and needs some TLC, including new canvas.

No need for it to drop. Drive it at the beach and get enough out of the water for him/her to have a look at. Just make sure you leave the stern in the water otherwise you will have to wait until it rains to get back off again..........

erm, trying to remember rough dimensions.

Hull just under 5m beam - but we have leeboards that add about 30cm each side.

Length - 19.7m honest wink.png then there is the rudder (about 3m) and the non-retractable bit of the bowsprit - about 3m

So say 5.7m beam max and max overall length 27m. Air draft is about 3.5m with the mast down.

I have a bit of work to do - the poor thing has been neglected for too long and needs some TLC, including new canvas.

You would get to Castleford with ease although air draught is lower in some places than others such as whitley bridge. You say 3.5m and I dont have a clue what that is in English. You can get 200 feet by 20 feet to Cas no problems and the dock unless its been made smaller will cope .

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

You would get to Castleford with ease although air draught is lower in some places than others such as whitley bridge. You say 3.5m and I dont have a clue what that is in English. You can get 200 feet by 20 feet to Cas no problems and the dock unless its been made smaller will cope .

Tim

Cas is big enough for OP's

Is the boat entirely flat bottomed? I expect not.

On a more serious note you either need a crane or are going on long journey to find a dry dock if you dont want to beach it somewhere.

Hence the interest in in-water hull surveys.

A long journey isn't free and dry docks are expensive up this way.