any advice on buying boat to livabord cc or winter mooring

wullie

Featured Posts

Hi, having wanted to live on narrowboat for over 30 years now i am wondering how easy it is to do the cc thing or would it be possible to moor for winter only? I still have a few years to go [3] till i retire,but if poss i may do it sooner,i am prety well clued up with all costs involved owning and running boat, what diy repairs are possible, as a engineer for over 45 years is it possible to rent dry dock to carry out any repairs required, welding,engine repairs or would it be better to get this sort work done at boat yard ? i have a lot of things i want to try get information on new/second hand size looking for maybe 6 berth at very least 4 any information would be a help. regards

Someone with FAR more knowledge than me will be along soon, but as nobody has answered yet i'll have a go.

I think CaRT normally designate a certain length on certain Visitor Moorings for the purpose of winter moorings during the months Nov-Mar. I'm not sure what the rules are for applying for one though. I'm not sure if you have to have declared a CC'ing to apply or wether you could for example have a non-CaRT mooring for the rest of the year and then purchase a CaRT WM for the winter months. Some else will have to answer that bit.

If you go onto the auction site, they still have the link up for the 2012 winter moorings. You can do a search for area's you are interested in and it will also tell you of the price for that mooring. I don't know when they will start to think about WM'ings for this coming winter.

Someone with FAR more knowledge than me will be along soon, but as nobody has answered yet i'll have a go.

I think CaRT normally designate a certain length on certain Visitor Moorings for the purpose of winter moorings during the months Nov-Mar. I'm not sure what the rules are for applying for one though. I'm not sure if you have to have declared a CC'ing to apply or wether you could for example have a non-CaRT mooring for the rest of the year and then purchase a CaRT WM for the winter months. Some else will have to answer that bit.

If you go onto the auction site, they still have the link up for the 2012 winter moorings. You can do a search for area's you are interested in and it will also tell you of the price for that mooring. I don't know when they will start to think about WM'ings for this coming winter.

as an interested party wanted to know where I find the 'auction site' you are on about?

we too are hoping to become liveaboards in the next few years if our plans go right and this would be of interest to us x

Winter moorings aren't great value. What many boaters do is go into a marina for the winter, cost about the same price but you have advantage of all services close to hand.

Re. Boatyards, you can pay for a drydock in order to do your own work, but for things such as welding, many places insist you use their welders for the work, think it might be to do with their insurance. If you're ccing, you should be able to just ring round and ask, you'll soon find a yard suited to your needs.

Edited by Lady Muck