Chasewater Reservoir

Heartland

Featured Posts

I think that it has been for some time now. A year ago there was a nice 'beach' to walk the dog along. No chance now.

I have a clear childhood recollection (late 40's early 50's) of being marched across Brownhills Common (replete with narrow gauge railway tracks) carrying deck-chairs and buckets and spades to a small sandy beach in a corner of Chasewater where we spent hot Sunday afternoons building sandcastles and swimming. I have an idea that it was on the side of the pool opposite to Hednesford Road. Happy times and a lot cheaper than a train trip to Rhyl.

I have a clear childhood recollection (late 40's early 50's) of being marched across Brownhills Common (replete with narrow gauge railway tracks) carrying deck-chairs and buckets and spades to a small sandy beach in a corner of Chasewater where we spent hot Sunday afternoons building sandcastles and swimming. I have an idea that it was on the side of the pool opposite to Hednesford Road. Happy times and a lot cheaper than a train trip to Rhyl.

Yes, you should have come down last year, it would have been like old times. And we still have the steam railway.

Most of the railways around Chasewater were standard gauge, and of course the Chasewater Railway has maintained the tradition of the former colliery lines/ Midland Railway branch. But there were also NCB licensed pits and one near the A5 had narrow gauge track ad pit tubs. Much earlier there was a tramway from an engine house near Watling Street to the end of the Slough Arm, which Bertram Baxter suggested might have been on stone blocks, if I recall.

Ray Shill