Maiden Voyage

Swampfrog

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell us if our planned route is free from any stoppages or problems? This will be our first trip and we need to arrive in Weedon for our launch party on Friday. Unfortunately our Helmsman Course (for today) was cancelled and hubby has hurt his back quite badly....hey ho such is life! Any relevant news/advice would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Suzie

Can anyone tell us if our planned route is free from any stoppages or problems? This will be our first trip and we need to arrive in Weedon for our launch party on Friday. Unfortunately our Helmsman Course (for today) was cancelled and hubby has hurt his back quite badly....hey ho such is life! Any relevant news/advice would be most welcome. Many thanks.

Suzie

Stockton flight is a lovely flight , should be enough walkers around if you need a hand. Braunston will be pretty busy with Easter boats so if hubby has a sore back wait at the bottom for another boat and go up the flight together. Braunston tunnell can be a bit frightening for the first time just put on all the lights and keep a torch on the back with you. The Buckby flight I hate not to be attempted with a bad back the gates are very heavy it's definately worth waiting at the top for a boat to travel down with. Suggest if you moor at the top walk down and there is a good canal shop by the next lock.enjoy your first trip out.

Edited by Tuscan

Thanks everyone for the help and good wishes.....we needs it! I don't think we will be able to sleep tonight with the excitement.....Engine running well - check...weed hatch clean - check...lubricated the prop shaft with the thingy (pump action...forgotten what it's called)....full water tank - check...full diesel tank - check....empty waste tank - tis at the moment....batteries full - check....enough coal (bagged up into weights I can carry)to last 3 days - check......empty ash pan in the morning - check....one spare gas canister - check....several torches ready - check....ropes ready - check....mooring pins and associated bits easily available - check....thermals, waterproofs, warm hats and gloves ready - check.....all washing and drying done - check.....had a bath/shower - check....prepared meal ready to go into the haybox in the morning- check....GOSH are we going to be okay? Robbie's back is still very painful but he feels loads better and is moving around now....see you out on the cut x

Thanks everyone for the help and good wishes.....we needs it! I don't think we will be able to sleep tonight with the excitement.....Engine running well - check...weed hatch clean - check...lubricated the prop shaft with the thingy (pump action...forgotten what it's called)....full water tank - check...full diesel tank - check....empty waste tank - tis at the moment....batteries full - check....enough coal (bagged up into weights I can carry)to last 3 days - check......empty ash pan in the morning - check....one spare gas canister - check....several torches ready - check....ropes ready - check....mooring pins and associated bits easily available - check....thermals, waterproofs, warm hats and gloves ready - check.....all washing and drying done - check.....had a bath/shower - check....prepared meal ready to go into the haybox in the morning- check....GOSH are we going to be okay? Robbie's back is still very painful but he feels loads better and is moving around now....see you out on the cut x

:) just take things nice and easy, and take your time in this unexpected weather. I hope Robbies back gets less painful and he starts to feel better soon. I really enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to more.. have a wonderful new life :)

Lorraine :)