window lickers, how to reduce the impact

magnetman

Featured Posts

Why don't you like people looking in, that's what I want to know? Personally I quite like seeing how other people have their boats different to mine (tidier, usually, for a start), and if I like to look at theirs, can't see why they shouldn't look at mine. I usually wave in a friendly fashion and get a wave or a grin back, and sometimes they stop and have a chat.

Privacy is over-rated... anyway, if I REALLY don't want anyone to look in, I play the trombone. Or a Leonard Cohen CD. That sorts it.

I just walk around naked. There is usually a high pitched scream and the sound of feet running.

And that is just SWMBO!

Edited by jelunga

I might agree with the novelty value but I can think of many houses which open direct on to the pavement and a moored boat has at least the distance from the water to the mooring pins to deflect walkers.

However that doesn't alter the attitude of "please don't blame them" it explains why they might want to do it but it doesn't explain why anybody should accept them doing it.

Many towns have terraced houses where their lounge windows look straight out onto the pavement. Whilst walking along it would be easy to peer inside and discover how different people live their lives. The normal and courteous approach is to avert your gaze and concentrate on what you should be doing, walking towards your destination.

Whilst walking along these pavements, If I were to copy what some gongoozlers do, stop and purposely stare into people's homes, I would equip myself with a well fitting gum shield in readiness for the ensueing good hiding from one of the home owners!

It's wrong, no matter how tolerant of people and their curiosity a person might be, it's simply bad manners which ever way you look at it (through the windows).

Edited by Doorman

so we want light in the boat, we don't want people looking in. I don't like blinds specially ikea crap.

i've come to the conclusion that sticking bubblewrap to the windows might be an option.

anyone got any other ideas?

I know lace is nice (!) but not ideal in some situations

Net curtains and rolls of instant window frosting. I had a problem because I've got Worcester Marine windows where the whole pane leans in when I open it. I got around that by buying 'cafe nets' from a great website, which are much shorter than regular nets, and then placing them a few inches below the top of the window. The plastic fixings stick v well to wood even though they're meant for pvc. I also found a nice little net for my middle doors. For some of my portholes I used the stick-on frosting, which works a treat. When the towpath changes sides I just swap the curtains and porthole windows (which come right out) round. You still need to close the curtains in the evening. Don't black the windows, you'll lose all the light.

Many towns have terraced houses where their lounge windows look straight out onto the pavement. Whilst walking along it would be easy to peer inside and discover how different people live their lives. The normal and courteous approach is to avert your gaze and concentrate on what you should be doing, walking towards your destination.

Whilst walking along these pavements, If I were to copy what some gongoozlers do, stop and purposely stare into people's homes, I would equip myself with a well fitting gum shield in readiness for the ensueing good hiding from one of the home owners!

It's wrong, no matter how tolerant of people and their curiosity a person might be, it's simply bad manners which ever way you look at it (through the windows).

I totally agree which was why I was amazed at the don't blame those who peer into your boat attitude.