Best online site for local information.

Caprifool

Featured Posts

As some of you may know I'll be on the Shroppie boat sitting Iona for three weeks, starting at the Easter Banter in Gnosall. So don't be scared if my ugly mug pops out the hatch if you come knocking on the roof :blush: Bet this has been up before. But at the moment, I can't seam to be able to find it. Anyway, I'm wondering what online site is the most informative about local shops, post offices, bus stops and train stations, local useful stuff on and around the canals?

As some of you may know I'll be on the Shroppie boat sitting Iona for three weeks, starting at the Easter Banter in Gnosall. So don't be scared if my ugly mug pops out the hatch if you come knocking on the roof :blush: Bet this has been up before. But at the moment, I can't seam to be able to find it. Anyway, I'm wondering what online site is the most informative about local shops, post offices, bus stops and train stations, local useful stuff on and around the canals?

If you have an Android smart phone/tablet or an Iphone/pad the 'Around me' App. is great for stuff like this.

Caveat - as I've just remembered where you hale from...

(You will of course need a UK SIM in it as the the data costs are likely to be considerable with one from your own country.)

Edited by The Dog House

Canalworlds pretty good.

Gnosall has a Bus that goes from outside the Navvy to Stafford and Telford, nearest decent shopping is Newport about 10mins by bus, Stafford is about 20 mins, buses go every half hour

think you'll find all you need located precisely HERE!! lol :cheers: CWDF members know lots!!!

which way if any are you planning to go? from my experience of the shroppie i've always found that starting at the bottom

there are good buses from the estate to the north of the junction at autherley into wolverhampton

wheaton aston has cheap diesel

gnosall good pub, short walk to the local shop (can be set adrift at a weekend by the local yoof)buses to stafford (i think that is where they go)

norbury nice pub and there was a small shop (someone will confirm)

on the way to Tyrley there is one solitary pub within shouting distance of the canal

then Market Drayton 15min walk into town

you then have Adderley & Audlem Locks before you reach Audlem again a nice village with most facilities within walking distance.

I think the garage adjacent to the canal has closed own now. Norbury Wharf are usually competitive on fuel costs though.

I'm glad to say the garage (Turners Garage) in Wheaton Aston is most definitely NOT closed!

I spoke to the owner today, and "rumours of the garages death have been greatly exaggerated" - in fact totally fabricated; he says that this happens occasionally, allegedly generated by a jealous competitor!

So, the source of cheap diesel is still available.

If you have an Android smart phone/tablet or an Iphone/pad the 'Around me' App. is great for stuff like this.

Caveat - as I've just remembered where you hale from...

(You will of course need a UK SIM in it as the the data costs are likely to be considerable with one from your own country.)

Thanks Martin I didn't know about that App ... it looks great I am sure it will come in useful!

Nick

I'm glad to say the garage (Turners Garage) in Wheaton Aston is most definitely NOT closed!

I spoke to the owner today, and "rumours of the garages death have been greatly exaggerated" - in fact totally fabricated; he says that this happens occasionally, allegedly generated by a jealous competitor!

So, the source of cheap diesel is still available.

Cheers Prof, that's good news!

Come to think of it, the manager of our local marina suggested it had closed down.......... <_<