Islonian's 2013 Cruise

Featured Posts

Had a chilly trip from Rufford to Parbold on Day One of our trip. Ended the day with an oil leak to find and fix tomorrow eekkk!

It was only 7 locks and 3 swing bridges; one electric that was broken and we had to call out CRT to get us through. I know you like to see piccies so a couple to keep you going.

Last Lock & Swing Bridge on the Rufford Branch - both worked together to get through.

SDC11930_zps6a16a897.jpg

Signpost at the junction of the Rufford and the L&L.

SDC11937_zps345dfe28.jpg

We saw plenty of these:

SDC11940_zpsccf763e4.jpg

And even one of these!

SDC11939_zps08d2f872.jpg

Parbold Church in the distance - journeys end for the first day

SDC11936_zps5da4b15f.jpg

And I had a first today - I saw my first EVER Kingfisher!!!!!!

Edited by tillergirl
  • Greenie 1

And I had a first today - I saw my first EVER Kingfisher!!!!!!

One of the things I am looking forward to the most of moving onto the cut, is seeing my first Kingfisher. Congratulations, was it a brief glimpse or did you get a good look?

Cheers

One of the things I am looking forward to the most of moving onto the cut, is seeing my first Kingfisher. Congratulations, was it a brief glimpse or did you get a good look?

Cheers

Was just a brief flash of vivid blue but a sighting none the less. It was on a lock gate with fish in its beak so my OH said but i saw it as it flew off.

Sounds like a great first day,I love the round house, where's that? Good luck with the oil leak, probably turn out to be something minor, unfortunately I don't think there's too much in the way of boatyards in that bit of the world. Day 2 Plank Lane?

:) tankies for the piccies and info have a brill time and hope you get the oil problem sorted.

Kingfishers are fast lickle urchins :) I was lucky to see two after I had stopped for a break, cycling along the Neath&Swansea canal a few years back :), I was so surprised to spot two that I never got my camera out in time :( but it is something that I will always remember with a smile. I will never forget walking along the towpath of the Mon & Brec when one of my saplings spotted a grass snake soaking up the sun, we were all set to run back the other way when it calmly slid into the canal phew!! one of the nicest things is spotting the wildlife. OI!! cheeky Ime not included hehhehehe :) enjoy and have fun and will catch up with you one day for a cuppa and chinwag xxxx

Sounds like a great first day,I love the round house, where's that? Good luck with the oil leak, probably turn out to be something minor, unfortunately I don't think there's too much in the way of boatyards in that bit of the world. Day 2 Plank Lane?

The roundhouse is just after bridge 35 on the L&L at Duttons Farm..............I have no idea why its there!

Day 2 was spent very lazily at Parbold. As for the oil leak all levels - engine and gearbox - seem to be in order although he did find a loose bolt on the gearbox which has duly been tightened. We are moving onto Wigan tomorrow so we shall see if thats cured it. We will ve passing Crooke Marina where we may be able to get some help should it prove not fixed.

:) tankies for the piccies and info have a brill time and hope you get the oil problem sorted.

Kingfishers are fast lickle urchins :) I was lucky to see two after I had stopped for a break, cycling along the Neath&Swansea canal a few years back :), I was so surprised to spot two that I never got my camera out in time :( but it is something that I will always remember with a smile. I will never forget walking along the towpath of the Mon & Brec when one of my saplings spotted a grass snake soaking up the sun, we were all set to run back the other way when it calmly slid into the canal phew!! one of the nicest things is spotting the wildlife. OI!! cheeky Ime not included hehhehehe :) enjoy and have fun and will catch up with you one day for a cuppa and chinwag xxxx

We've been watching squirrels, goldfinches and chaffinches today. And there was a cheeky robin sat on the boat roof early this morning singing his head off!

Can't wait to catch up with you - teas always on the brew :)

Decided to start a blog and can be found on this forum at the blog place under nb.islonian. Seemed the easiest way to do this cruise diary. I will however post any pictures that I think might be of interest for those of you who dont do blogs.

heres a moody sky one to keep you going:

SDC11946_zps9950f1c3.jpg

An early start on Sunday is advised to avoid the crowds at the Wigan v Newcastle football match which kicks off at 4pm at the canalside DW Stadium. Or if you are hungover from a night in the Crooke Inn set off Monday instead.

Steve

Good point. We were going through the lock there last year when the crowds started spilling out and I was willing the water to hurry up so we could get through before they reached us! Could just imagine some nutter trying to jump on the boat! Luckily we were away before that happened :-)