Single engine/twin engine clarification

JohnS

Featured Posts

Hello again. Sorry I should have included more information in the last post.I have seen a few steel Dutch cruisers I thought might be suitable.At about 45ft x 13ft beam x 4ft draft. They are generally called sea cruisers I believe and are considerably less cost and smaller than a Dutch barge.I like the shape of them compared to a wide narrow boat,they do at least look like a proper boat shape. Im afraid I dont know a lot about boats but by looking around like this definately seems like a way to learn.Thank you for your imput so far,it is very much appreciated.

Hello again. Sorry I should have included more information in the last post.I have seen a few steel Dutch cruisers I thought might be suitable.At about 45ft x 13ft beam x 4ft draft. They are generally called sea cruisers I believe and are considerably less cost and smaller than a Dutch barge.I like the shape of them compared to a wide narrow boat,they do at least look like a proper boat shape. Im afraid I dont know a lot about boats but by looking around like this definately seems like a way to learn.Thank you for your imput so far,it is very much appreciated.

4' draft is too deep for most UK canals, even a lot of the wide ones. 3' is about the max you would want to contemplate, and even then you may struggle in some of the wide canals.

4' draft is too deep for most UK canals, even a lot of the wide ones. 3' is about the max you would want to contemplate, and even then you may struggle in some of the wide canals.

And of course the narrow ones will be impossible!

7ft locks.....

MtB

If you're planning on spending any time on the Broads then that size of boat will be fine most places down south, but possibly a bit big (and a little deep) on the northern Broads. The exact size limits are available on the Broads Authority's web page (I know that the maximum go anywhere beam is 12'6"). In practise on the Broads you may find that air draft is far more of a consideration than any other dimension.

I have seen a few steel cruisers around and about on the Broads, and in general they look pretty good. It always surprises me that they're not more popular around these parts.

going back to your question about twin engines, one advantage of them is that they can be useful for close quarters maneuvering - a twin engine boat can turn on it's own length (mind you, a properly handled single engine boats can do almost as well).