Counter condensation

Painter Type

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am getting condensation coming into the back cabin from under the counter - which I have decided I need to do something about. At the moment all I have under there is ballast. Just wondered what everybody else has done... Am considering some Kingspan at the moment - not looking forward to working in that confined space though!!

While we are on the subject, I have tried my best to insulate under my tug deck and despite it being 'open' to the main cabin it still gets a bit musty under there. Should I consider putting in some ventilation slots in fore-locker bulkhead to get a bit more air in there??

Cheers,

John

I used 3M thinsulate on our counter...easy to fix using the special glue and cos its like a material it fits the curves well......not cheap but has been effective.....used on swims as well

http://www.sikaflex.co.uk/thinsulate

Cheers

Gareth

Edited to add.....this was 1st link I found on google.....company that I used to supply it no longer exsists!!

Edited by frangar

We have exactly the same problem, and as we sleep in the back cabin there is quite a lot of condensation in the winter.

I have been thinking about this for some time but have still not got a good plan.

Self adhesive foam may be the thing for the sides, but I also want to do the underside of the deck right up into the cants and also the "floor" or top of the uxter plate.

I am thinking about making "shuttering" under the deck out of thick card and battens, and then injecting aerosol type expanding foam.

I have done something similar in a house and it worked quite well, but could be a really messy job if it goes wrong.

Not sure about the top of the uxter as this needs to cope with getting a bit wet once in a while when messing about down the weedhatch etc.

I hope to do this later this year so please let me know what you do and how it works out.

...........Dave

Still on condensation problems but not on the counter plate.

We have a 'cross bed' that rarely gets lifted to allow access to the rear cabin as we just lay a waterproof cover over the bed and walk over it. But, the downside of this is that the mattress doesn't get lifted as often as we should and mildew developes through the condensation build-up.

In order to alleviate this problem we placed an old set of 'Versatile' rubber tiles under the mattress and these let an airflow to pass between the mattress and the bed frame, allowing the condensate to dry out. We've even applied the same solution to the underside of our dog's bed that suffered the same problem.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Still on condensation problems but not on the counter plate.

We have a 'cross bed' that rarely gets lifted to allow access to the rear cabin as we just lay a waterproof cover over the bed and walk over it. But, the downside of this is that the mattress doesn't get lifted as often as we should and mildew developes through the condensation build-up.

In order to alleviate this problem we placed an old set of 'Versatile' rubber tiles under the mattress and these let an airflow to pass between the mattress and the bed frame, allowing the condensate to dry out. We've even applied the same solution to the underside of our dog's bed that suffered the same problem.

Mike

Our dog does not have this problem because she insists her bed is right in front of the stove (when she's not on the sofa that is).

............Dave

Our dog does not have this problem because she insists her bed is right in front of the stove (when she's not on the sofa that is).

............Dave

Trust you to be a big softie! :P

If we gave our Paddy such comfort we'd never get a look in. He already has me up at dawn every day to let him out to the loo. I must admit though, that me and Mrs Doorman are seriously considering hiring another crew member with whiskers and a long tail and from what I recall from previous experience with cats, she'll be the boss and sleep wherever she likes.

Can't wait. :wub:

You could try some anti-condensation paint, something like this.

I know someone that used it in a GRP boat with no insulation and it seemed to do a good job for him.

Rik

I strongly suspect that this stuff is snake oil, I just can't see how a thin layer of paint on 6mm of steel can prevent cold and condensation. I suppose in a house it might be different. I have read that these paints have a "surface texture" that inhibits condensation, but surely that is lost as it can be overcoated. I reckon its a "membrane" paint like the anti-stain stuff that prevents water "sweating" from a plastered wall. I have also read about a thermally insulating paint based on tiny ceramic beads, a coat of this is better than an inch of sprayfoam. That is high performance snake oil!

........Dave