6 volt batteries,

Featured Posts

Hi folks, my domestic battery bank is to be 24 volts, If I was to buy 4, 6 volt batterys rated at 225 amps each, and had them wired in series, would that give a total of 900 amps at 24 volts ? As apposed to 6, 12 volt 120 amp batterys wired in series / parralel would give 360 amps ? I am sure you can see what I am thinking, but am I missing some thing here? thank you very much.

Hi folks, my domestic battery bank is to be 24 volts, If I was to buy 4, 6 volt batterys rated at 225 amps each, and had them wired in series, would that give a total of 900 amps at 24 volts ? As apposed to 6, 12 volt 120 amp batterys wired in series / parralel would give 360 amps ? I am sure you can see what I am thinking, but am I missing some thing here? thank you very much.

No - 4 in series would give you (4 x 6) volts = 24 volts and 225 amp hours capacity

and

4 in parallel would give you 6 volts and 900 amp hours capacity

You can't add volts AND capacity

Nick

Sorry, simple answer, No.

Assuming by 225 amps each you mean 225 Ah each, It would give you 24V with 225 Ah capacity. Wire them in parallel would give you 6V and 900 Ah.If you want 12 Volts,

two series connected pairs in parallel will give 24V and 450 Ah .

However, all is not bad. The current demand for a 24 volt system as opposed to 12V is halved. For instance a 20 watt lamp on a 12v system draws 1.6 amps, a 20W lamp in a 24V systen only draws 0.8amps. This would enable you to reduce the size and therefore the cost of wiring.

Edited to add : Nick beat me!

Edited by Radiomariner