Has anyone made their own sofa?

Zayna

Featured Posts

So the bedroom is done, now we need to build something in the lounge, we want a comfy L-shaped sofa which we can pull the bottom out and make it into a double bed. Any ideas or photos would be really welcome please.

It's got to be mega super duper comfy, we really don't want bench type seating, we're looking for something much more comfy than that.

Thanks in advance.

So the bedroom is done, now we need to build something in the lounge, we want a comfy L-shaped sofa which we can pull the bottom out and make it into a double bed. Any ideas or photos would be really welcome please.

It's got to be mega super duper comfy, we really don't want bench type seating, we're looking for something much more comfy than that.

Thanks in advance.

I think your best plan...would be to go to a sofa warehouse...'feign' interest...and then get ideas about construction...and mechanisms for the drawers.

I had a friend years ago..who did that .. being unable to afford a very nice three piece suite...measured the one in the shop...figured it out...and made it himself. It looked great !

I'm not putting down any upholsterers on here..but its basic wooden framing...and design...coupled with a good industrial stapler...and understanding stitching and the making of things like 'padded flutes'. I used to make 'padded flutes' when I built custom cars...Once you research them..its not that difficult.

I haven't looked at YouTube..but I bet there are articles on there?

Yup..just back from YouTube...

Type in 'making sofa'...loads of stuff on there...

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

That pink and yellow affair is PERFECT! :P

And thanks for the Youtube idea, didn't think of that. We're currently searching on ebay to see if there are any corner sofa bargains that we could dismantle. I'm sure we'll come up with something but I do like to see other peoples ideas... /nosey.

:lol:

from my humble experience please remember that the cushions MUST be on a breathable base, NOT ply. the moisture sinks to the underside of the cushions and turns into mould, rots the cushion covers ,and then gets into the wood.

all the built in sofas iv'e seen are too hard, proper sofas have webbing supporting the cushions, nice and comfy, and don't give you DVT of the arse.

Have you considered getting a sofa in the sales, and modifying it to fit, a bit of woodwork to the base will get you plenty of space for draws, or wicker baskets which are a nice cheat out of making draws. Presuming you can get it through the doors.

I did that to an IKEA sofa, it worked out well, loose furniture is the way forward in my opinion, but i did find out why IKEA was so cheap, it was made of card board inside, and put together by a blind brain damaged chimp in China with an air stapler gun.

• Greenie 1

Thanks in advance.

PM me your email address and I will send you some photos and sketches of the one I built for our boat

here is one photo of the unit minus upholstery:-

th_Setee7.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer