Not the best start to 2013

Lesd

Featured Posts

You have my sympathies regarding the dislocated shoulder and glad that things did not turn out far worse.

May I suggest that anyone who thinks that a rope ladder on a narrow boat is a good idea thinks through the use of it. They clearly have never used one and it is totally unfit for the purpose for which it is being suggested! You need something akin to a boarding ladder seen attached to the rear of a yacht. It could be stored on the roof and simply placed on the deck when required.

I know people poo poo self inflating life vests/jackets but what would the outcome have been if you had banged your head and become unconscious? I doubt we would be reading this thread!

They do and I don't know why.

BUT - how many people wear them when on canals?? - if I was single handing I would 24/7 canals or rivers, I bet most don't though....

'it'll never happen to me'

You have my sympathies regarding the dislocated shoulder and glad that things did not turn out far worse.

May I suggest that anyone who thinks that a rope ladder on a narrow boat is a good idea thinks through the use of it. They clearly have never used one and it is totally unfit for the purpose for which it is being suggested! You need something akin to a boarding ladder seen attached to the rear of a yacht. It could be stored on the roof and simply placed on the deck when required.

I know people poo poo self inflating life vests/jackets but what would the outcome have been if you had banged your head and become unconscious? I doubt we would be reading this thread!

I have experience with rope ladders, and think that they could only be useful (maybe) for someone who fell in the water, without being hurt, as you need to be able to pull yourself with both hands and arms, really not an easy task, and impossible if you damaged yourself like Lesd did here.

Lesd has been very luck that Heidi knew what to do, as trying to get out on your own when disabled and fighting in the cold water, your force is very quickly non-existant.

A self inflating life jacket doesn't limit you much in your movements, and will keep you afloat hopefully long enough for rescue by others, or if you still can by your own means.

Good luck for a rapid recovery Lesd,

Peter.

Wishing you all the very best for a speedy recovery...and thank you for the reminder about safety and not being prepared.

A linked question to Forum colleagues:

Who is reponsible for keeping the pontoons on a marina reasonably safe?

I ask because last week I was waiting in the car for the OH to reappear after she'd gone back to boat to get something, and I had reached the point where I was wondering why she was taking so long. I got out of the car to find her staggering towards me. Turns out she'd stepped onto the pontoon, which was very slippery due to it being very wet and covered in a thin layer of green slippery stuff, had slipped badly and would have ended up in very deep (for a canal) water if there hadn't been a boat moored on either side of the pontoon. As it was she ended up battered and bruised from head to toe as various parts of her anatomy collided with various bits of pontoon and boats.

Three years ago on the same marina a young mother with baby in arms had slipped off a pontoon she'd been walking along to reach a friend'sboat. In that case the pontoons were very icy. Fortunately there were people immediately to hand and able to fish her and the baby out very quickly with no apparent harm done except shock and extreme fright.

Edited by Québec

Thanks for all the kind wishes, much appreciated. I guess I just wanted to remind everyone of the need to be a little prepared. I think having some kind of loose 'man overboard' procedure saved the day. I need to think how i could have coped if single handing, im really not sure how that would have worked out (life jacket springs to mind).

Regarding the other ideas; Im not sure about a rope ladder, I dont think id have a hope of getting out with one but I quite like the idea of a solid ladder on the roof just incase. If I'd had one that reached the bottom id have got up that one handed, not sure how it would have worked off bottom due to the lack of angle though.

Ray, thanks for the kind offer mate, I'll let you know but we have 14 days now and being self employed I need to get back to work so wont be hanging this out if I can help it lol

Les

Glad you're on the mend Les and well done Heidi.

This episode, although very unpleasant, could have been worse and is a timely reminder about safety in general.

As stated, a 'Man overboard' procedure is a good idea. Self-inflating life-jackets and a boarding ladder / plank too

Other things to consider??

Learn some Basic first-aid - at least for the possible killers; EG cardiac arrest, bleeding, shock, drowning

Have a decent first-aid kit on board

Know exactly where you are when travelling should you have to call the emergency services (bridge / lock number and which bank you are on)

Always keep your phone charged up

Life-ring

We have lessons in First Aid over the winter and try and relate them to boating scenarios.

Wishing you all the very best for a speedy recovery...and thank you for the reminder about safety and not being prepared.

A linked question to Forum colleagues:

Who is reponsible for keeping the pontoons on a marina reasonably safe?

I ask because last week I was waiting in the car for the OH to reappear after she'd gone back to boat to get something, and I had reached the point where I was wondering why she was taking so long. I got out of the car to find her staggering towards me. Turns out she'd stepped onto the pontoon, which was very slippery due to it being very wet and covered in a thin layer of green slippery stuff, had slipped badly and would have ended up in very deep (for a canal) water if there hadn't been a boat moored on either side of the pontoon. As it was she ended up battered and bruised from head to toe as various parts of her anatomy collided with various bits of pontoon and boats.

Three years ago on the same marina a young mother with baby in arms had slipped off a pontoon she'd been walking along to reach a friend'sboat. In that case the pontoons were very icy. Fortunately there were people immediately to hand and able to fish her and the baby out very quickly with no apparent harm done except shock and extreme fright.

In general, the Marina are responsible for keeping their pontoons in a safe condition, which may include repairing any damage, pressure washing them regularly if there is a build up of algae, making sure their is a non-slip surface to walk on, etc. As part of this responsibility they may also have rules for customers to follow to prevent stuff being left on pontoons or other walkways, or other similar hazards developing. Ice is a tricky one - it could be argued that it's impossible to prevent ice forming in suitable conditions (especially as using salt or similar chemicals are likely to pollute the water), and that it's reasonable for people to expect pontoons to be icy in winter and take appropriate precautions.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a trouble free 2013 of cruising................thanks for posting this. Its human nature to become complacent and sometimes we need to kick up the a**e to remind us of our own mortality.

Best wishes to the both of you.

Rope ladders are extremely difficult to climb up unless they're anchored down taught at the bottom which is impossible. Even with a weight hanging from its bottom it will be difficult for most.

You can't teach rope ladders anything. Very poor students.

dry.gif

N

PS

Pleased that the outcome of this accident is such that jokes can be made. I have just started a notepad document to remind me of safety things to sort out when we get back on to Theodora. We keep a ladder and have used it to rescue a stranger but it is not all that accessible on the boat.

They do and I don't know why.

BUT - how many people wear them when on canals?? - if I was single handing I would 24/7 canals or rivers, I bet most don't though....

'it'll never happen to me'

We wear ours always on rivers and I always wear mine on canals and rivers when single handing.

N

• 2 years later...