Morco D51B water heater problem

haventa

Featured Posts

Hi all. Introduced myself as a newbie and still trying to find my way about. Have a serious water leak where the connection joins onto the temperature control knob. Is this simply a sign of a washer needing renewed or is it not as simple as that? Best wishes to all.

Hi all. Introduced myself as a newbie and still trying to find my way about. Have a serious water leak where the connection joins onto the temperature control knob. Is this simply a sign of a washer needing renewed or is it not as simple as that? Best wishes to all.

Probably complete rubbish but as this type of water heater should have a drain plug are you sure its not been left out as a frost precaution.

From memory and also relating to other makes. If this is a supply or delivery pipe then it is probably a compression joint with an olive. If it is either pipe connected to the heat exchanger then I would expect something like an O ring or fibre washer on a flange under the nut.

If you mean it is leaking out of the control valve spindle then on an old heater I would expect a gland under a chrome cover but new ones probably use O rings.

Hope Boilerman etc. come by and give better info.

2 things you can do.

1. Try and look for a repair kit, and try and fit it...there might be some O-rings etc that have broken, causing the leak.

2. isolate the water, wait for everything to be bone dry, turn the heating knob to the temp you normally use, and then squeeze a lot of silicon sealer around that metal bits where the leak is happening. This should reduce the leak a lot...or stop it completely.

ETA....If it's just a leak out of one of the water supply/outlet pipes...then you would normally just need to tighten it with some spanners, but it sounds like you're talking about where the knob adjustment comes out of the body of it. Photo would help: )

Edited by DeanS

Is the leak coming out of the 'flying saucer shaped' thing with about 8 bolts around the top ?

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/resources/English_Copy_of_D61B_D61E_and_G11E_Manual_31032010.pdf

I know this manualis for the D61 (its very similar) but look at page 12 - is it leaking out around areas 5,6,7 or 9

Has it by any chance beeen frozen ?

Your description sounds very like when ours froze, it distorts the water control assembly (flying saucer) and it leaks out around the control knobs.

Or -the diaphram has split - replacements readily available - Item 52 on this link

http://www.leisurespares.co.uk/files/water_cont_assy.pdf

If the water control assembly is distorted new ones are not available (for the D51) but I picked up a couple of re-furbished 2nd hand ones from ebay (£50 each)

It is apparently posible to modify a D61 unit if you know how.

Is the leak coming out of the 'flying saucer shaped' thing with about 8 bolts around the top ?

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/resources/English_Copy_of_D61B_D61E_and_G11E_Manual_31032010.pdf

I know this manualis for the D61 (its very similar) but look at page 12 - is it leaking out around areas 5,6,7 or 9

Your description sounds very like when ours froze, it distorts the water control assembly (flying saucer) and it leaks out around the control knobs.

Or -the diaphram has split - replacements readily available - Item 52 on this link

If the water control assembly is distorted new ones are not available (for the D51) but I picked up a couple of re-furbished 2nd hand ones from ebay (£50 each)

Thanks for the link to the D61 diagram. I would say that the leak is coming from area 9 and not from the control knobs. There is a strong possibility it had frozen up, the temp had dropped to -9C at one point. It may hopefully have been the force of the water pressure causing it to blow when I turned the mains on and may be an easy fix......he says hopefully. You can probably guess that I haven't much of a clue what I'm talking about. Best wishes.

......I would say that the leak is coming from area 9 and not from the control knobs. There is a strong possibility it had frozen up, the temp had dropped to -9C at one point.

Possible damage !!!

Unscrew "9",put some PTFE tape round it and tighten back up.Hopefully it'll be fixed.

If not,disconnect the water in and out, remove the water assembly (2 screws - one each side),remove the 8 (?) screws and take apart,have a close look at the diaphram and check for the smallest split (stretch it in various directions whilst looking), if diaphram is OK put each half on a piece of glass and check for flatness -the slightest distortion will allow the water to escape. If diaphram is OK and water assembly is not distorted,reassemble and try again.

If it still leaks then it probably needs a 'new' water assembly - Or an expert to look at it.

Merry Christmas

I don't wish to be a bearer of doom, but if it has really got to "minus nine" for any length of time, and it wasn't drained, I think it far more likely that damage may have occurred to one of the vulnerable parts higher up, and you are simply seeing where it is running down to.

I hope I'm wrong, but these are usually the first thing on a narrow boat to get frost damage, and the one thing that needs to be drained down if sub zero temperatures are a possibility.

I'm afraid I can't see why frost would cause it to fail at the point you say before some of the much more easily damaged bits of it would already have popped.

If you do need bits, unfortunately there are about five different versions of the D51B, and you need to know which one you have. A lot of the bits in the earlier ones are now unobtainable, despite it appearing to be very similar to the later D61B.