Bowman heat exchanger

mango

Featured Posts

I'm helping a friend get a reconditioned BMC 1.5 ready to fit in his boat. He managed to get a Bowman heat exchanger to replace the exhaust manifold. The Bowman does not have a tubestack core but I cannot see any reason for having this because the boat has a skin tank rather than using canal water for cooling.

Several people have suggested that a core is needed, so I decided to ask Calcutt Boats about this and other questions. They were very helpful, but I don't understand the response to my question about whether a core is needed:

"not required but some have a "dummy" tubestack which is solely to increase support."

Any idea what this might mean?

I'm helping a friend get a reconditioned BMC 1.5 ready to fit in his boat. He managed to get a Bowman heat exchanger to replace the exhaust manifold. The Bowman does not have a tubestack core but I cannot see any reason for having this because the boat has a skin tank rather than using canal water for cooling.

Several people have suggested that a core is needed, so I decided to ask Calcutt Boats about this and other questions. They were very helpful, but I don't understand the response to my question about whether a core is needed:

"not required but some have a "dummy" tubestack which is solely to increase support."

Any idea what this might mean?

I'll hazard a guess that the casting is designed around a tube stack, and might be a little weak physically without one.

Tim

I'll hazard a guess that the casting is designed around a tube stack, and might be a little weak physically without one.

Tim

It does look quite strong, but I really don't know.

My own guess is that it might help to support the rubber end caps that often have hoses connected to them. We are planning to use blanking caps, so that would not matter.

Let's see if anyone else has any bright ideas.....

My own guess is that it might help to support the rubber end caps that often have hoses connected to them. We are planning to use blanking caps, so that would not matter.

You could always ask them what they meant - or would that spoil the fun?

Tim

How can you blank off the end caps ? That's where the cooling water goes in and out !

Arthur

• 1 year later...

The engine I referred to is working fine with the ends of the Bowman heat exchanger capped off. I've seen several other examples with the same arrangement. By using the other connections it removes a frequent cause of failure and blank caps can be purchased.

I think that you are correct but rather than fitting that I think I would investigate getting metal blanking caps welded to the ends. far more reliable in the long run.

I think that you are correct but rather than fitting that I think I would investigate getting metal blanking caps welded to the ends. far more reliable in the long run.

That makes sense. The rubber caps are expensive.