Finding the builder of my boat.

Blue Haired Girl

Featured Posts

Hello lovely Forum Folk,

I have an odd question. I recently bought a 60' narrowboat from a chap at Hatherton Marina Workshop in Wolverhamption.

Its a lovely (but old - 1979) boat who needs plenty of TLC and a few bits doing.

I have the BSS Cert, which gives me the name, year, engine (which sounds lovely!) and what its made from etc, but the 'Manufacturer's or Builders Name' box is 'Unknown'.

He said he thinks its from Liverpool but I've got no idea at all of how to find this information out.

Is there a big data base or a number I could call to find this out?

I bough the boat with a friend and we had it out and blacked it, new annodes etc, and him and a friend hit it a lot and it seemed pretty tough, I would just really like to know if there is more information to this lovely home I've aquired.

Thanks for any help!

BHG

Hello lovely Forum Folk,

I have an odd question. I recently bought a 60' narrowboat from a chap at Hatherton Marina Workshop in Wolverhamption.

Its a lovely (but old - 1979) boat who needs plenty of TLC and a few bits doing.

I have the BSS Cert, which gives me the name, year, engine (which sounds lovely!) and what its made from etc, but the 'Manufacturer's or Builders Name' box is 'Unknown'.

He said he thinks its from Liverpool but I've got no idea at all of how to find this information out.

Is there a big data base or a number I could call to find this out?

I bough the boat with a friend and we had it out and blacked it, new annodes etc, and him and a friend hit it a lot and it seemed pretty tough, I would just really like to know if there is more information to this lovely home I've aquired.

Thanks for any help!

BHG

Input your boats details into Jim Sheads site here -

http://www.jim-shead.com/waterways/boatreg.php

You MAY be lucky and it's builders name will be on there though, if it's not on any of your paperwork it's unlikely to be on here either.

(Note - Although it asks for the builder you don't need to enter it to do a search.)

Edited by The Dog House

Post pictures, particularly of bow and stern shapes, and cabin detail.

If it is by a recognised builder, someone will ID it, I would say.

Is it this one ?

CAPERCAILLIE Built by UNKNOWN - Length 18.28 metres (60 feet ) - Beam 1.97 metres (6 feet 6 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999 BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 79846 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

If so the info British Waterways were holding about it (in 2010) in respect of draught, beam, and engine size all look like they need an update on CRT's licensing database , if you haven't done so already. :rolleyes:

Post pictures, particularly of bow and stern shapes, and cabin detail.

If it is by a recognised builder, someone will ID it, I would say.

Is it this one ?

If so the info British Waterways were holding about it (in 2010) in respect of draught, beam, and engine size all look like they need an update on CRT's licensing database , if you haven't done so already. :rolleyes:

Either that or I bet it can't half shift....

Either that or I bet it can't half shift....

Probably not if the maximum draught of the boat is also only the quoted 1 centimetre, as a prop working in just the top 1 cm of the canal will not be able to use that much power.

Probably not if the maximum draught of the boat is also only the quoted 1 centimetre, as a prop working in just the top 1 cm of the canal will not be able to use that much power.

Good point - we need a different prop design - but lets not go there.

Funny enough that is the same draught as JS has for our boat (and a huge number of others) so it must be some sort of default.

You've got your canal boat glasses on, haven't you. Racing hydrofoil prop:

39428d1342622894-flash-steam-monotube-boilers-flash3.jpg

Only the bottom half is in the water

Richard

Good job you're not a boat architect then

Richard

We are not helping the OP here but.....

If you have an outboard powered canal boat, that relies on the skeg and prop of the outboard being lower than the hull to get water to the prop, then what is your effective draught?

In terms of not smashing blades off your prop on the bottom of the canal or river, at least, it is not just the maximum depth the hull is in the water, is it?

If we are going to say it is just the physical hull that gives the number, why on a standard sewer tube do people actually tend to measure the depth over the skeg, which is usually a bigger number, (but the amount of water you need to be able to pass over something without hitting it)?

Anyway, I think you can tell we would all be better of boating if we could - I'm out of this thread now, unless OP actually posts stuff specific to identifying their boat!