I blame the Abbot

Graham Bowers

Featured Posts

After a mere quart of the stuff I found myself metioning to the missus that it's possible to get a NB trucked over the channel for some continental cruising. Now I have to find out the practicalities because she is, err, quite interested. OK, we don't actually have a NB, but have been window shopping this very week:-)) Outline plan is to holiday NB in the UK for a while until retirement opens up continental possibilities.

So, I am keen to hoover up information and google mainly returns adverts for holidays, so I thought I'd ask for pointers in here.

Cheers

Graham

After a mere quart of the stuff I found myself metioning to the missus that it's possible to get a NB trucked over the channel for some continental cruising. Now I have to find out the practicalities because she is, err, quite interested. OK, we don't actually have a NB, but have been window shopping this very week:-)) Outline plan is to holiday NB in the UK for a while until retirement opens up continental possibilities.

So, I am keen to hoover up information and google mainly returns adverts for holidays, so I thought I'd ask for pointers in here.

Cheers

Graham

Hello Graham

I don't have any practical experience of this but having read a fair amount about it, if I was going to be permanently, or for an indefinite but lengthy period, doing France etc. I'd go for a wide beam, money permitting. Narrowboats seem out of place on the much broader European canals with their big barge traffic, there is no need for narrowboats which were only designed that way in the first place because a lot of our canals are narrow. Even something as basic as mooring can be a bit of a problem on occasion in Europe because they are not being designed for the dimensions of the British narrowboat. Apart from that there is obviously much more space on a widebeam.

Perhaps something like this

http://www.ledgardbridge-boatcompany.com/html/lea_crest.html

A very attractively styled Ledgard 14' wide beam that was transported by truck to France by its owners. You can read their diary about it.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar