How should I wire an illuminated rocker switch?

Grace and Favour

Featured Posts

I have a bathroom light with shaver socket, and the manufacturers have, in their dubious wisdom, wired it so that the transformer is constantly live!

I wish to put a switch into the circuit to enable me to turn the transformer on/off separately - and have an illuminated rocker switch to fit - SPST - with three contacts on the reverse marked 1 - 2 - 3.

But there is no wiring diagram

Is there a standard wiring for these, please, (such as 1= Line in, 2= ground, 3=Line out) - or as I fear, are there various designs?

Could anyone enlighten me please?

Many thanks chaps

Edited by Grace & Favour

I have a bathroom light with shaver socket, and the manufacturers have, in their dubious wisdom, wired it so that the transformer is constantly live!

I wish to put a switch into the circuit to enable me to turn the transformer on/off separately - and have an illuminated rocker switch to fit - DPST - with three contacts on the reverse marked 1 - 2 - 3.

But there is no wiring diagram

Is there a standard wiring for these, please, (such as 1= Line in, 2= ground, 3=Line out) - or as I fear, are there various designs?

Could anyone enlighten me please?

Many thanks chaps

I struggle to think of a circuit for a DPST switch even without a light within that has only 3 contacts - that would need at least 4 without the light

Nick

You need to sort out which terminal goes to the light bulb in the switch, which is the common and which is the switched output. Then put live to the common, the load on the switched output and link the load terminal to the bulb terminal. Thats how its done on my nav light switch anyway.

Mike

You will need to check it out with a meter. One contact will be the main input, the second will be the switched output (when switch on shorted to the first), this contact will also be connected to the LED - DC or NEON - AC within the switch and the third will be the OV or Neutral. The only thing that you need to be careful of is not to connect the supply across the first two so when you switch on you short out the supply.

I struggle to think of a circuit for a DPST switch even without a light within that has only 3 contacts - that would need at least 4 without the light

Nick

I agree. I don't think this can posssibly be a DPST switch with a light and only three terminals. Must surely be a SPST!