More heating questions

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

I'm interested in buying a 60' 'reverse layout' narrowboat. Currently it has what the brochure describes as a Kuranda 'Old English' diesel stove. There used to be radiators but for some reason they have been removed, but the pipework is still in place. The hot water is generated by a calorifier only and as far as I know the stove can't heat it.

We plan to live aboard which, except for the heating issue it is an ideal boat for. I'm really keen on the boat but having read the many threads on here about heating I know that the heating set up on this boat is far from ideal. I've learnt from this forum the importance of having an alternative heating source in case of breakdown, or that a multi-fuel stove is fine for the job once you get used to using one.

So my questions are, what would be an approximate cost of the following options?

a) Changing the existing Kuranda for a decent quality multi-fuel stove with a back boiler that would heat both the water and some radiators.

b. Installing 2 radiators where they used to be.

c) Installing a diesel boiler such as a Webasto or Eberspatcher(sp?) to heat the water and the radiators and change the Kuranda for a basic multifuel stove that would just heat the saloon.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

This probably isn't relevant but the Kuranda is currently situated by the stern doors in the salon (it's reverse layout cruiser stern boat). Ideally I'd like a stove to be more central but can't see where else one would go without a major re-fitting of some of the fixtures so I'd accept that the current location by the stern doors is the only place it can be.

I appreciate it's difficult to be very accurate with the costs of the above, but even some 'ball park' figures would help me greatly in deciding whether I want to buy the boat and how much to offer, or whetehr or not to steer clear of it. It's a shame about this heating issue because everything else about the boat is ideal for our requirements.

Your calorifier can't heat water on its own since its just a hot water tank. I would guess the Kubola (sold by Kuranda) boiler does still heat a coil within it but you will need to confirm that. Since its probably more durable than an Eberspacher/Webasto/Mikuni (much the same) system, I would be tempted to keep it and re-install the radiators.

For living aboard, a diesel stove is a convenient but rather expensive option.

If you can afford it, and given that space is at a premium, I would change the Kabola to a multi-fuel stove with back boiler (to do rads and hot water), and find somewhere to install a Webasto/Eberspacher/Mikuni for back-up.

If you COULD find space for a small, solid-fuel, second stove, in addition to the Kabola, then that would be cheaper.

On my barge I have 2 multi-fuel stoves, one with back boiler, and a knackered Eberspacher. I am trying to decide whether to replace the boiler stove with a diesel, like the Kabola, or fix the Eber. I want the economy of solid fuel along with the convenience of diesel for just heating up the water in summer when away from my mooring.

We have a Kabola stove in a 50ft boat.The man I bought the boat off fitted it and he lived on board.He removed a multifuel and the boat has never had radiators.I guess it depends how you use the boat.We find it very convenient and heats the boat well.The snag is,it is quite expensive to run.

• Greenie 1