Radio on the canal

Harmony

Featured Posts

There may be a few diehard 'good buddies' still using the CB whilst on the move, but I don't think it's very popular anymore these days, other than with the tipper boys. Range is limited, and it is is just as illigal to use a CB as it is to use a mobile, whilst driving. And seeing that an HGV driver risks a suspension of his licence, if caught using one whilst driving, not many bother.

Besides, apart from the occassional warning about traffic problems, or skirt, most transmission is inane claptrap from unemployed nitwits with nothing better to do than insult each other, or regal stales of their forthnightly sign on session..... <_<

( I used to switch my set off when approaching the M42, or Bristol, or the Reading Corridor...)

Now, a chart plotter, that would be usefull

Actually it isn't technically illegal to use a microphone whilst mobile, just a telephone. The Law expressly states "telephone equipment" which CB, etc, are not. It was written that way to allow the likes of the Emergency Services to continue using their equipment.

However you can still be prosecuted with "without due care and attention" for using a microphone.

Just to add, whilst the topic is open, if anyone is interested in a QSO some time, I am active on HF all bands, both from the house and the boat - PM me to arrange a sked - I work from home so am flexible on times

Nick

We all have the internet and internet capable phones, (if you don't have the internet, then i'd like to know how you post here),

So why not use something like twiiter...just register your boatname as your 'account' and tweet on the correct hashtag.

Hashtag Boater_GUC or Boater_Trent etc etc.

Just 'tune in' to the correct hashtag, and see live tweets from other boaters in your area.

Doesn't have to be twitter, could be skype, xmpp, irc, sms txt messages, or any other kind of store and forward messaging system on the internet.

Would cost a penny to setup or use.....just need a small 'critical mass' of internet boaters to adopt the system, and we have a useful warning system.

I'd do a feed of the weather for that day, every day, making the system useful from day one. not exactly the shipping forcast... :-)

views?

would be very simple to develop a smartphone app that does this.

heheh , got me thinking anyhow.