Two tanks?

Featured Posts

Hi guys...

I'm just in the preliminary stages of planning a boat

If the new limitations on use of red diesel do indeed come into force at the end of the year - would it be worth considering planning now to have seperate red and white diesel tanks fitted at the build stage?(assuming that we will still be able to use red for heating)

Thoughts anyone?

Allan

Hi guys...

I'm just in the preliminary stages of planning a boat

If the new limitations on use of red diesel do indeed come into force at the end of the year - would it be worth considering planning now to have seperate red and white diesel tanks fitted at the build stage?(assuming that we will still be able to use red for heating)

Thoughts anyone?

Red will be OK for power generation and heating.

I had my second tank fitted in 2004 to beat the "rush"

definately go for a second tank anyway if the derrogation does continue then all that it will mean is that you will have increased capacity and if you can get it up to 600L ( 500 + 100 left) this will mean that you can have a tanker delivery rather than pay marina prices.

J

would it be worth considering planning now to have seperate red and white diesel tanks fitted at the build stage

Allan

If you intend to live aboard then yes, definitely. If you spec it before you get quotes, likely it will be included for very little extra cost. Ask for it after you place an order, and the chances are it will cost you a few hundred pound!!!.

If you do not intend to live aboard and only use a heater for a small amount of time (using small quantities of fuel) then the hassle of having two separate tanks may not be worth the agro. Even if / when the red 'marine' diesel goes, I can not imagine many, if any, marinas will have two diesel pumps, so likely you would have to carry the 'heating' diesel to your boat….. 5 gallons a time, saving £12!….. too easy to fill up with white at the marina whilst you fill your engine tank!!!!, I think if a low user most will fill up at the marina…… and not so easy to find somewhere even now away from marinas selling red / heating fuel, most garages do not sell it.

But yes, definitely two tanks if live aboard.

Ian

Elessina

… and not so easy to find somewhere even now away from marinas selling red / heating fuel, most garages do not sell it.

may be worth specifying a really big tank, like a home heating oil tank, and arrange for the distributor to visit you somewhere where he can fill you directly from his tanker truck. what is the minimum delivery quantity? probably only need it once a year.

what is the minimum delivery quantity?

I have been advised that it is 500 litres..... thats a lot for a narrowboat!, especialy if having two tanks. No problem on a wide beam, where the space under floor is normally around 18" deep.

Ian

may be worth specifying a really big tank, like a home heating oil tank, and arrange for the distributor to visit you somewhere where he can fill you directly from his tanker truck. what is the minimum delivery quantity? probably only need it once a year.

500litres is the minimum

There is ususlly a decent price break at 1000L

As for once a year well most winters I get through 1100L with ease, so I guess its at least twice a year for me.

If we loose red then I will be putting a tank of at least 1500L on the moorings for my heating as most fuel suppliers will not deliver directly to boats.

J

:( I can't believe that is acceptable to the authorities in most locations. :angry:

There are things you have to do :(

It wont just be a single skinned tank as it will be within 10m of the canal (despite being 2m below the canal level) it will be a "bunded" tank i.e. a tank within a tank to comply with regs.

I could go to 2300L but felt that was a bit excessive.

If it was more than 10m away from a watercourse in most locations you can get away with a single skinned tank, however I think that is chancing it a bit. Remeber its not a commercial premisis so different rules apply.

J

There are things you have to do :angry:

It wont just be a single skinned tank as it will be within 10m of the canal (despite being 2m below the canal level) it will be a "bunded" tank i.e. a tank within a tank to comply with regs.

I could go to 2300L but felt that was a bit excessive.

If it was more than 10m away from a watercourse in most locations you can get away with a single skinned tank, however I think that is chancing it a bit. Remeber its not a commercial premisis so different rules apply.

J

and I'm sure you'll need planning permission, the landowner's permission, etc.

lucky you. will you also supply red gas oil to other boaters? :angry:

No because then I have to register with HMCE and it becomes commercial......

The only reason for fitting a tank is that there are very few tankers that will deliver to boats directly even when I can take 1000L so a tank gets round this.

J