Pill box nerds

John Orentas

Featured Posts

Survey; is it just me who loses the will to live halfway through reading anhars off topic opinions?

So don't read them.

People like you who make personal comments about others serve merely to create trouble on a forum. If you have any argument to add to the thread or wish to disagree with my views then fine. If not then I suggest you say nothing rather than post insults.

Edited by anhar

No Ive just come back from casualty.....with bandaged wrists... :D

(anhar....thats a joke) :D

Indeed min. I have no problem with a bit of french taking. However the earlier message was meant to be offensive not jokey. It's the direct nastiness of some people that I find out of order though I don't wish to reply in kind because it's bad for the forum and anyway it's unimportant.

The really worthwhile messages are the technical type where people ask and answer questions on boating and as a relative beginner I've learned a hell of a lot here on such matters from many people. The rest is really just idle pub talk that is of no consequence.

regards

Steve

I dunno, maybe this is just a suggestion...and feel free to shoot me down if you wish..but maybe some people get fed up of people being too stuffy all the time....

I'll admit I do...

I like a bit of humour in a posting....you can still get your point over as correctly as you wish...but just lighten up a tad mebbe...

we dont have to stand to attention just to post on a ruddy forum.....do we :D

Amen to that Min, but I guess as in any community, on a forum you'll experience the full pallette of 'manner and delivery' styles, some of which my be a little more forthright than others....

Indeed Denis,

In my experience of life, I have found the more forthright you are, the less friends you have.....

So to all you Billy No mates out there...take heed :D

lol

We've gone from bunkers to bonkers....

Pill boxes....to chill pill boxes...

Exactly...one would have had to have been very foolhardy to have shown any disdane to the Nazis....

I honestly think I wouldn't be able to handle going to such a place......

You'd have to be made of brick, not to feel the gut wrenching atmosphere of a place like that....

It was bad enough when we went to visit a USA war graves site, in Cambridgeshire....rows and rows of white headstones, almost as far as the eye could see, on pristinely cut grass.....a lump was in my throat all the time I was there.

I orignally went in search of family..via records.

But returned with friends and family, as its not something i could put into words by way of description. People need to see for themselves what intolerence to other peoples beliefs can bring.

When our soldiers are fighting in Iraq...and people say "we shouldnt be there"...i always think back to what was uncovered in Poland when it was liberated....A lot of people still do not appreciate what REALLY went on.

A little know thing about these pillboxes was how totally ineffective many would have been. Some of the standard ordnance pattern designs would have been quite effective but many in rural areas were often built away from any official instruction to do so by the local Home guard units, town councils or individual public subscription the protection offered and reasoning behind the location of many of these was very doubtful.

In the 80's we were tasked to remove some on the Thames estuary with the help of large amounts of redundant PE4 and hayricks, some of these proved to very tough and we would end up blowing the thing more or less intact off their foundations up in the air to land still much in one piece, others meanwhile were made of very poor concrete with little or no reinforcement these would simple disappear in a cloud of dust!

There are also lumps of concrete on the L&L banks with four lumps of railway line sticking out of the top. I have been told these were put there during the war ready to drop in the cut in case of invasion. Can anyone confirm this?

the ones I have seen were blocking bridges so tanks, trucks etc couldnt cross them. There were similar things in fields to stop gliders landing.

the ones I have seen were blocking bridges so tanks, trucks etc couldnt cross them. There were similar things in fields to stop gliders landing.

I remember well a childhood holiday in Lossiemouth, Scotland. There were dozens of these concrete blocks running along the top of the beach, I guess to deter invasion.