Overnight Leicester Mooring

Jo_

Featured Posts

We're heading down in a couple of weeks and have heard a thousand doom-laden voices talk of Leicester and the need to go straight through. But we'll want to stop overnight somewhere in the area; we won't be leaving the boat (we tend to carry what we want). Is there a good and sensible mooring along there? Perhaps with CWDF members waiting to welcome us with glasses (we'll bring the wherewithall with which to fill them!)? We can time things to suit. Or should we stop earlier in the day at Thurmaston-ish and look for another boat with whom to share the locks etc. through the Leicester stretch the following morning?

Suggestions welcome.

Jo

We're heading down in a couple of weeks and have heard a thousand doom-laden voices talk of Leicester and the need to go straight through. But we'll want to stop overnight somewhere in the area; we won't be leaving the boat (we tend to carry what we want). Is there a good and sensible mooring along there? Perhaps with CWDF members waiting to welcome us with glasses (we'll bring the wherewithall with which to fill them!)? We can time things to suit. Or should we stop earlier in the day at Thurmaston-ish and look for another boat with whom to share the locks etc. through the Leicester stretch the following morning?

Suggestions welcome.

Jo

The moorings at Castle Gardens are often refereed to on here a 'safe'. You need a BW key to access them I believe.

Last time we passed we moored temporarily in the city centre to do some shopping and had no problem, in fact the kids were commenting 'nice boat mister' -

IMG_0125.jpg

We pressed on because from memory the moorings at Castle Gardens were full and moored opposite MGM Boats at Thurmaston and had a very safe and uneventful evening and night.

IMG_0127.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

The moorings at Castle Gardens are often refereed to on here a 'safe'. You need a BW key to access them I believe.

We're hoping to stop there in a few weeks time as they looked pretty secure when we passed by about 18 months ago. They might have changed by now though.

Leicester is probably no worse that many other parts of the system.

But the standard run seems to be

Kilby Bridge to Castle Garden moorings - access with BW key via a gate from the landing stage to the park and then another gate in the park (top left corner form the landing stage). There are loads of bars/pubs/restaurants in the area. The Highcross is a Witherspoons pub 10 mins away. The city centre is only 15 mins away.

Castle Garden moorings to Birstall. A couple of pubs (White Horse & The Old Plough) and plenty of local shops.

Once you are at Birstall you are clear of the city and the 'badlands of Leicester'

Hope this helps

You've all been great with your responses. We're coming from the north, so I reckon it's an overnight stop at Birstall and then do Leicester the following day with a stopoff at the Castle Garden moorings en route for a wander, lunch, etc.

Thanks for the pics, too, Martin ... always nice to have the illustrations.

Jo

You've all been great with your responses. We're coming from the north, so I reckon it's an overnight stop at Birstall and then do Leicester the following day with a stopoff at the Castle Garden moorings en route for a wander, lunch, etc.

Jo

Thurmaston and birstall are both lovely moorings,and safe in flood. Good curry house just up in the village at birstall. Castle gardens is lovely, not only are the moorings secure in the day, the park gets locked at night so you have it to yourself!! Abice kings lock,gees lock are nice stretches for a bbq and then no real safe overnight stops before kilby bridge.

Jo

If you run short of wineessential supplies as you pass through Leicester there is a Tesco Express just over the road approx. 50 yards from where we are moored in the first pic...

If you run short of wineessential supplies as you pass through Leicester there is a Tesco Express just over the road approx. 50 yards from where we are moored in the first pic...

oh please!! Tesco Express for our wine?? If we run short, I shall ring the Wine Society and they will deliver to our bridge number! They are wonderful and very flexible. (but, seriously, thanks for the shop info! :D )

oh please!! Tesco Express for our wine?? If we run short, I shall ring the Wine Society and they will deliver to our bridge number! They are wonderful and very flexible. (but, seriously, thanks for the shop info! :D )

AAhh a wine snob ;) - fairy nuff there is a Sainsbury's Local just a bit further on too....from memory...

:cheers:

Best I not mention Asda at Fosse Retail Park a little further south then... :unsure:

Best I not mention Asda at Fosse Retail Park a little further south then... :unsure:

No, no, mention it, mention it!! BIG Asda' and BIG Tescos actually do some very good wine - you just have to know what to look for! :cheers:

We moored at Castle Gardens on our month long trip...absolutely brilliant!

Very secure and safe...we moored on the pontoon and the gates to the garden were locked with access only via our BW key...spent a wonderful evening in the gardens hand feeding a semi-tame fox...

Janet