Door linings

Featured Posts

I have bought some ASEC garage door type bolts as recommended on the door security thread. I was surprised how big they are and want to flush mount them in the door lining.

The metal door has a folded edge all around into which the lining is recessed. I cannot see how the lining is fixed. I'm sure that there are options but is there a usual method?

Thanks.

John.

Edited by Ratty's Retreat

The metal door has a folded edge all around into which the lining is recessed. I cannot see how the lining is fixed. I'm sure that there are options but is there a usual method?

I've got exactly the same arrangement. The wood is held in place by 10mm stainless steel bolts tapped into the metal. The heads of the bolts are recessed into the wood and plugged; the ends of the bolts protruding through the metal are ground flat. This means that the fixing is completely invisible from either side and I reckon the linings would be very difficult to remove.

Edited by koukouvagia

If you can see the 'plugs', drive a screw into the centre of them, that will remove the plug, and then you can unscrew the screw below. Of course you will then need some plugs to re-plug it, but they can be made, or bought easily.

I have bought some ASEC garage door type bolts as recommended on the door security thread. I was surprised how big they are and want to flush mount them in the door lining.

Thanks.

John.

On some recent boats the linigs may be glued, using one of the 'mastic' type adhesives such as Sikaflex/Marineflex.

Equally difficult to remove without damaging the linings . . .

It's quite likely that you assume you need to replace the linings to fit these locks

Thanks for your replies. I have had a close look and cannot see any plugs, only some recessed panel pin heads, so I guess it is pinned and glued onto batterns.

I will do some gentle prising where I will cut out the lock and see what happens. I accept that I may have to start afresh.

It looks a worthwhile mod as the ASEC locks look very strong compared with the current brass bolts..

John.