possible broken gearbox

Featured Posts

Sorry for the lack of technical terms.On a recent boat trip I "lost" forward and reverse gears on my Morse controlled out drive .The cable from the Morse controller had come off the outdrive.I re-attached the cable to the "arm or pivot lever " using a couple of plastic garden ties I had .This has given me neutral and forwards , but reverse no longer works.The cable was re-attached to where I presume a 10mm bolt held the cable to the gear arm or pivot,

What I would like to know is did anything more than just the 10mm bolt fall off.Such as any return spring mechanism?

.Have you tried moving the lever manually, ie. getting down the engine hole and moving the selector, engine running be careful of belts and pulleys etc..

If this solves the selection problem then it is a cable adjustment.

Edited by bottle

Agree with Bottle. Also, a Morse cable can push as well as pull, and cable ties will not give the positive location of (presumeably) a clevis pin, so the problem may well be excess movement at the temporary repair.

Iain

It would be an quite a coincidence if the gearbox broke just as the cable failed.

I agree. highly likely that you just have a mis-calibration of your temporary cable tie fixing.

What is teh make and model of gearbox?

Mike

Hi, you mention it being an outdrive, presumably an enfield, sonic or similar, as the guys above have already stated, the exact cable location and its secure mounting is imperative along with its length, as just a few mm's out will affect the operation of the gearbox. Most of these drives have a secondary lever operated via an adjustable rod.

If you can give us more information or better still upload a picture of the outdrive i would be happy to forward you some setting up instructions and drawings as i have rebuilt and set up numerous outdrives over the years.

Rick