The Leicester ring! we did it

Adora Belle

Featured Posts

After many requests for information, thanks all, we finally did our first ring.

We had 15 days and allowed 6 hours day (canal plan got this too 12 days) and we had 2 days of little sailing and a few shorter days to boot. I wont bore everyone with the full 15 days, but...

we set of clockwise from Shardlow, got turned around at sawley by the lock keeper, after 2 people at sawley told us the soar was open! So ended up anti clockwise. I cant say i find going up or down locks easier as the lock and boat do the work, many of the paddles and gates are that stiff they are a work out in thier own right especially around leicester. What makes the double locks (Leicester to Stenson) harder is getting to them and having to fill or empty prior to entering and doing them nearly all on our own! (there was hardly anyone out from foxton to Trent lock last week!.

Highlights recommendations:

T&M, Ragley boat stop, hook up!, stenson also worth a visit, and we moored first night at Willington, Alrewas is well worth a visit, good pubs, chippy and shops. There is a distinct lack of toilet stops after the T&M but enough elsan points!

Coventry, Hopwas alway worth a visit and good moorings especially around the Tame Otter, good food. Alvecote marina, there is a good little pub (samuel Barlow) at the canalside, very friendly and good real ales, and they offered free electric if you buy a round! Springwood marina nice moorings canalside north of nuneaton too. (the high speed railway is in earshot most of the journey. Atherstone flight not to bad either (going up) and a pleasant town with moorings at the top.

Birm Fazeley, good moorins near the twin tower bridge for Drayton Manor weve done this twice with no problems, barring locking ourselves out!

Oxford, very pretty even saw an adder in the canal swimming on the way to Rugby! Rugby near the harvester is safe and there is an elsan not in the nicholson book, and a tesco near, barley mow at newbold had some good local ales too. Braunston well worth a visit but im sure you all know this, good pub on the high street! (a pattern forms)

GU moored at Norton Junction, facilities but the pub at buckby is now closed (for now?) Watford flight very helpful and through quickly, also seemed a lot friendlier and more informal than foxton.

Foxton we waited 2 hours before entering (think they let 8 up!)Lots of gongoozlers though. Definitely visit the Bridge 61 pub, great local ales, and the round was significantly cheaper than the 'chain' pub opposite and lot more personal, big hello to the chatty and landlord who hates boats and canals, but keeps a good pint and was a great host despite his lack of boating interest!

North Kilworth boat yard very helpful, Crick the moorings do a good sunday lunch, but the crick tunnel leaks somewhat !!

GU Leic upto Leicester we found it ok, not as picturesque, Kilby bridge is worth a moor as facilities and a good friendly busy pub, the navigation, not a pretty area, but worth the stop esepcially as there are no CaRT facilities and Elsan until Barrow upon soar! Castle moorings great if you can get on but again no toilets/water or elsan which is odd for the whole of the waterway thro leicester.

Leicester is quite a nice city, and some nice backstreets 10 min walk from castle moorings and the new centre also nearby, not to mention currys!

Raynesway marina at Thurmaston also very friendly as we needed to empty and fill since kilby bridge. Mountsorrel and barrow nice to stop though more shops in Barrow. Hope and anchor at syston good moorings and we won a bottle of wine!

Moored after hope and anchor at Pillings lock for the night, with retrospect we should have tried the marina, as many kids knocking about though no trouble, and the railway is so close and noisy!

Otter at kegworth worth a visitand electric available again! Finally back to trent lock in all its glory ;)

Hello on sunday to fairies wear boots who sailed past us at sawley on our home straight! First CWF member i have recognised, sorry if i missed anyone on the ring!

Well worth it, perhaps if we had been more confident on time we would have explored the ashby a little or the welford and harborough arms, oh well another day !!!!

Great update and tips- sounds like you enjoyed it. We have 2 weeks off at the end of August and plan to do either the Leicester ring or the Staffordshire ring.

Certainly recommend the Leicester one, it has it all, pubs, tunnels, staircases and a flight! Certainly not as scary as last year when we made the mistake of sailing through burton during the water fest! (especially as we had only just upgraded from a 23' cruiser!)

Where does the staffs ring take in?

The Leicester ring has a lot of variety thats for sure.

We did it two years ago at Easter. The Soar had high flow and we went up to Sawley Lock on a Trent that was going off amber and about to enter red(we were last to do so for a while). Took us 45 mins to do the mile!! Karen cried with relief when we got to Sawley. It has put me off going on the Trent, though no doubt you will all say it is OK in green conditions. Must get over fear though as we want to see a friend as Washingborough on the Wansdyke.

We had a weekend up the Soar last week as far as Pillings marina and really enjoyed it- apart from the stoning at bridge 36- yobbos

We were going to have lunch at the otter on the way- but couldn't work out where to moor- Are the moorings in front of the pub or to the side where the moored boats are

Still not decided on the Leicester or Staffs ring- I think the Leicester ring is winning!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

What's mooring like on the Soar? Can you leave a boat from one w/e to the next in some places as you can on the canals? On the map, it looks as if it goes from river to canal and back several times. Do the canal bits have mooring places that are unrestricted?

I hope someone know!

Thanks,

Mary

We had a weekend up the Soar last week as far as Pillings marina and really enjoyed it- apart from the stoning at bridge 36- yobbos

We were going to have lunch at the otter on the way- but couldn't work out where to moor- Are the moorings in front of the pub or to the side where the moored boats are

Still not decided on the Leicester or Staffs ring- I think the Leicester ring is winning!!!

moorings for the otter are in front of the pub, boats moored on the sides are private moorings, enjoy your trip :)

Hiya,

What's mooring like on the Soar? Can you leave a boat from one w/e to the next in some places as you can on the canals? On the map, it looks as if it goes from river to canal and back several times. Do the canal bits have mooring places that are unrestricted?

I hope someone know!

Thanks,

Mary

there are lots of moorings on the soar, as for leaving your boat for a week alone i wouldn't unless it's on a floating mooring the soar can be a beast if it rains hard.

there are lots of moorings on the soar, as for leaving your boat for a week alone i wouldn't unless it's on a floating mooring the soar can be a beast if it rains hard.

Thanks for the warning! Are the canal bits safe, or is it all best avoided?

Cheers,

Mary

Cheers,

Mary

don't avoid it its all very nice we stay in the sticks on canals. but there are BW moorings on the canals if you wish to use them.

Cheers,

Mary

I'm sure you will find the canal sections would be OK even if the river bits are in flood.

Going towards the Trent from Barrow.

Above Barrow deep lock, canal section is a nice place to stay, I don't think you would have trouble with the locals and rail station in Barrow.

Pillings flood lock to Loughbrough off the river on canal, not sure about security if leaving your boat for a while, the marina at pillings might do temp moorings I don't know.

Zouch is a small village with pub, canal section looks good, I don't think you would have a problem leaving your boat there.

Perhaps some others wiser than me might have more information and correct me if i'm wrong about anything

edited to change small village to Zouch not Quorn

Edited by chazzy

So good to hear how well it went for you. We started out in 2005 but two things happened - we were trying to do it clockwise and we broke down losing three days cruising. So, your post has whetted my appetite to try again some time when we are next in the midlands. Thanks!