Buying a boat as a complete Numpty

Blokey

Featured Posts

Put bit this way - I don't think theres the same amount of liability and responsibility for an agent as compared to a broker. Perhaps because of this there could be more chance of the boat having dodgy or incomplete paperwork or not being as sound as it is supposed to be. Theres not the same responsibility to ensure these checks have been made. If it all goes pear shaped I reckon you'll find out pretty quickly where that liability lies! Of course in an ideal world be they agent or broker they would all be required to make the same checks but in real life I know it's not the case.

What frustrates me most of all is the lack of written down facts for buyers. It makes it hard to avoid finding this out the hard way! :cheers:

Edited by Crazy Scheme

The main thing for me is and has been with this mess is why did it take so long despite repeated requests for these people to send any paperwork accepting reciept of this money for payment for this boat???

Had they done so when they promised to do so then the vast amount of family pressure that we recieved wouldnt have happened.

With the vibes and feedback we were getting from the agent we were all expecting this yard to fold and us left with absolutely nothing and no comeback. We never at any time wanted any of the controversy or complications and we have never done anything to the people involved to cause such. All we wanted or ever wanted was a reasonabley reliable date as to when we could expect the boat we had payed for and some communication and frankly I truly believe we should have had that.

Rest assured had I had 25,K of his money and just sat on it for so long he would have been all over me like a rash.

Edited by Blokey

What a shame, I really hope it all works out for you, Blokey.

If the boat now floats, why not go round with your brothers and say you've had enough and as you are the owner of the boat you now want to take it away. Demand it is craned in to the water, then take it away with you. I'm sure you could get temporary moorings near to where it is. At least you would then have your boat. If further work is needed, you could then sort out the legalities of that and payment for it afterwards, at least you would have the boat to show for your £25000.

Good luck with it and all the best.

See posts 28 to 30 :cheers:

Okay Alan thanks.

It's odd how the firm is praised in the previous thread compared with the opprobrium they will now attract following Blokey's experiences.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Okay Alan thanks.

It's odd how the firm is praised in the previous thread compared with the opprobrium they will now attract following Blokey's experiences.

regards

Steve

"Opprobrium" - good word.... (and inevitably sent me Googling, as your words so often do!.....)

Yes, unless someone eventually says otherwise, I'm reading it that it's all the same outfit, but that now things have gone very sour......

There have been some strange stories on here over the months, but somehow this one seems a hell of a lot stranger than most, unfortunately.

I can only reiterate that I hope it all comes good for Blokey in the end.

Huge snip here, but we all know what we're talking about, OK?

Your story quite literally brings tears of rage to my eyes. I can't imagine how you've managed to keep your cool through all this, and I think you should be applauded for it. I'm hugely concerned about the physical (and no doubt mental) effects this is having on you, and give me a couple of weeks and I might be able to offer some practical help (in the form of a week of blissful cruising with no worries attached.)

Please keep in touch; if you disappear from the forum we'll all be worried, so stick around. We're all on your side.

John

We had major words over the phone yesterday night. The guy has told me that the boat "hopefully" (his favourite word) will be ready by the end of next week. He has also told us the same about the end of May, the beginning of June, the middle of June and last week.

He insists that he has sent paperwork in the past and we have never recieved it. He was to have sent it again on Monday recorded delivery .We have never recieved it. He was sending it again yesterday, again recorded delivery and the postman has just walked by my window.

The person who is the agent, I have contacted her time and again and she agrees that he is out of order and say,s she is going to go personally and find out whats happening but thats not happening either. 9 times out of 10 when she promises to return calls it doesnt happen.

I had an old banger of a car that had problems up until yesterday that I didnt trust for the journey to the yard. I got shut of it and have a much better car so I can go at any time now but my problem is that Im scared of losing my temper. Im trying very, very hard now to believe that this is all going to turn out ok but all the time Im seeing this spectre of these people stealing every penny we have. Ive already been in trouble a couple of times in the past through losing it and decking somebody and the trouble is that being the size I am I tend to break whatever I hit and that opens serious doors as Ive found out to my cost.

I have 4 brothers who are all bigger than myself and they are all very concerned and straining on the leash everyday and thats not helping. My partners brother is a solicitor and he was always very much against our idea and he is also on my case every day and also straining the leash. None of this at this time is helping, although it may very well do in the next couple of weeks.

My suspicions could be wrong and the yard owner is just a guy who,s word isnt worth a carrot and we will end up sometime with a good boat, but the more this lack of communication goes on and these constant broken promises and the "hopefully by next week crap" the less likely it is looking to all here.

Its not worth the grief to lose your cool.Read the August edition of WW ,page 57? I think,I sued a boat builder and won,although the circumstances are slightly differant,we cannot let boat builders get away with ripping us off.Believe me a solicitors letter is a start,£120 approx,then a small claims court,it does work,but it takes time,I hope you get some results soon,incidentally who is the 'agent' ? Regards

Marc

Edited by iteldoo4me

Thanks to everyone for all your support on this. At this time after further discussion I believe everything to be finally under way and that the original agreement is now being honoured. In the intrests of our sanity and to bring this to closure Im going to shut up for now and see where we go. If all goes as promised now we will have a boat by the end of this month. I will keep you all informed.

It was said yesterday that it was a thought someone held that I have a leaning towards violence. Personally that isnt the case and Im genuinely sorry if Ive given that impression to anyone on here, however the same sadly cannot be said of a couple of my brothers. When I posted on here originally I was at the end of my tether with all this.

I have no intention of hitting anybody nor sending the dogs in either. The problem at this end with "the posse" occured when my sister in law found my partner breaking her heart, worrying herself sick. They talked and my sister in law then loosed the dogs. It has only served to massively increase pressure on myself. I could have gone down that road weeks ago had I wanted to. I have no desire or intent to do anything like that and I hope I havent created that sort of picture about myself. Im no different to any other bloke and Im the furthest thing from a yob or an animal.

Thanks to everyone for their support again and offers of help. Fingers crossed now and I will let you know the end result ASAP.

Edited by Blokey

Thanks to everyone for all your support on this. At this time after further discussion I believe everything to be finally under way and that the original agreement is now being honoured. In the intrests of our sanity and to bring this to closure Im going to shut up for now and see where we go. If all goes as promised now we will have a boat by the end of this month. I will keep you all informed.

It was said yesterday that it was a thought someone held that I have a leaning towards violence. Personally that isnt the case and Im genuinely sorry if Ive given that impression to anyone on here, however the same sadly cannot be said of a couple of my brothers. When I posted on here originally I was at the end of my tether with all this.

I have no intention of hitting anybody nor sending the dogs in either. The problem at this end with "the posse" occured when my sister in law found my partner breaking her heart, worrying herself sick. They talked and my sister in law then loosed the dogs. It has only served to massively increase pressure on myself. I could have gone down that road weeks ago had I wanted to. I have no desire or intent to do anything like that and I hope I havent created that sort of picture about myself. Im no different to any other bloke and Im the furthest thing from a yob or an animal.

Thanks to everyone for their support again and offers of help. Fingers crossed now and I will let you know the end result ASAP.

Hi Blokey,

I thought you gave the impression of a man who didn't want to use violence but was being pushed too far, we all need to get things off our chest from time to time, better out than in!!!! Sometimes once we have had our say.....and more importantly we are listened to, we can get the situation under controll and we feel much better, that's why forums like this are soooooo good, the people on here are wonderfully supportive and helpful, glad we could be of assistance when you were at a low ebb...onwards and upwards now tho'

Pictures of you smiling at the tiller as soon as poss please, good luck :cheers:

Regards,

Ally P

PS I sometimes wish I had brothers I could unleash from time to time....but then my sisters a bit of a rottweiler :)

Quote" Your story quite literally brings tears of rage to my eyes. I can't imagine how you've managed to keep your cool through all this, and I think you should be applauded for it. I'm hugely concerned about the physical (and no doubt mental) effects this is having on you, and give me a couple of weeks and I might be able to offer some practical help (in the form of a week of blissful cruising with no worries attached.)

Please keep in touch; if you disappear from the forum we'll all be worried, so stick around. We're all on your side.

John ,thanks very much gor your kindness. Lets hope now that alls well thats ends etc and we can meet up for a pint or 2 one summer evening somewhere wet :cheers:

Fingers are massively crossed.

Ally, Up until this all going off I havent seen much of my brothers for sometime as they live in Bristol and I live in South Wales but trust me it isnt all its cracked up to be. Once you have been to a couple of family get togethers with my lot you dont need many more. Im 20 stone plus and apart from my sister Im the smallest one in the family and Im the only fatty.

Edited by Blokey