First trip

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

Dear All.

After months of planning and a long weekend getting everything onto the boat, Suzie_Q & Elsey II, to give the full name (SWMBO sneakily added my school nick name to the boat as well :hug: ) goes out on her first trip on Saturday. We only intend to go from Mercia marina to Fradley Junction and back over the weekend, so I'm looking for any tips as far as moorings, good pubs or places to eat along the way, places to avoid etc.

And anyone we can give a wave too...

:cheers:

Dear All.

After months of planning and a long weekend getting everything onto the boat, Suzie_Q & Elsey II, to give the full name (SWMBO sneakily added my school nick name to the boat as well :hug: ) goes out on her first trip on Saturday. We only intend to go from Mercia marina to Fradley Junction and back over the weekend, so I'm looking for any tips as far as moorings, good pubs or places to eat along the way, places to avoid etc.

And anyone we can give a wave too...

:cheers:

Alrewas is a great place to stop as is Fradley junction itself. Two or three good pubs in Alrewas, the swan at Fradley gets mixed reviews - personally I really liked it.

Burton-on-Trent just after the aqueduct over the river Dove is a nice spot (no pubs though). Coming back to Mercia Willington is a great place to moor and the Dragon had a good reputation when last discussed on here.

Enjoy...

Stock up on beers and good food, and moor in the middle of nowhere! Bliss. :cheers: Enjoy.

Seconded when we started boating we kinda followed the pack and always moored close to pubs or other boats.Now we tend to moor in quiet spots alone,its bliss.

Ian.

• Greenie 1

Firstly congratulations and have a good trip. First stop The Bridge at Branston. You can moor up by the pub and its lovely. Little word of warning the tow path comes out quite far under the bridge so take it slowly. At Alrewas the pubs are good but I'd suggest walking down the main road to the chipy as the fish is lovely and the portions are massive (its next to the CO-OP) I do like the Swan at Fradley and have never been disappointed. I have done this trip many times and its lovely but if the cut is busy be prepared for a few delays at the locks. happy trip though :boat:

Firstly congratulations and have a good trip. First stop The Bridge at Branston. You can moor up by the pub and its lovely. Little word of warning the tow path comes out quite far under the bridge so take it slowly. At Alrewas the pubs are good but I'd suggest walking down the main road to the chipy as the fish is lovely and the portions are massive (its next to the CO-OP) I do like the Swan at Fradley and have never been disappointed. I have done this trip many times and its lovely but if the cut is busy be prepared for a few delays at the locks. happy trip though :boat:

Thanks for the suggestions, we will certainly have a happy trip, even if the weather isn't looking to great.

LoubyScooby. I'll pm you when we get settled in to Mercia as I believe your there as well?

Kev & Sue

First stop The Bridge at Branston. You can moor up by the pub and its lovely. Little word of warning the tow path comes out quite far under the bridge so take it slowly.

I was there at the weekend it is very narrow just after the pub. There were boats moored adjacent to overhanging branches on the other bank. Passing boats were having to give way and I overheard a little cursing.Yet nearer the water park the canal was much wider and passing would have been much easier.

Thanks for the comment about the boat. It wasn't me you spoke to. That was the poor guy from notts boat sales who took it from castle marina to Mercia for us.

He finally got to Mercia at 9:30, where we were waiting, soaked to the skin.

We dropped him back at castle marina at 11. Long day for him.

I saw you set off this morning.... Think I walked past you guys on the pier too whilst you were just getting everything ready for the off. If I'm right, I'm moored further on past the little island so feel free to drop in for a coffee. Hope your first trip was all you wanted and more