future build

Ste

Featured Posts

hi , new to the forum. im planning on buying or building a house boat in the not too distant future , ive had a nosey about and have seen a few of these .....

http://www.apolloduck.com/image.phtml?id=41578ℑ=1

for sale. anybody recommend (or otherwise) these as a good way to go?

ive got qualifications in most types of welding , a good few years in engineering workshops and in the building trade , so providing the information is out there im confident about doing this :cheers: . always ready for advice though so any help will be much appreciated .

cheers

ste

ive had a nosey about and have seen a few of these .....

http://www.apolloduck.com/image.phtml?id=41578ℑ=1

for sale. anybody recommend (or otherwise) these as a good way to go?

'kinell!

Hi Ste, and welcome to the forum.

Sounds an interesting project, best of luck, but was just curious, where are you thinking of using or mooring?

If you have the skills, the time and the money and equipment it should be an amazing project.

when you say a house boat I assume you intend to keep it unpowered?

I have seen one of these, or a very similar lighter fitted with a steel framed building that had been grafted on to the hull rather than sat there, I think it was in Kent.

House furnishings. it seemed just like being in one to be honest, a real houseboat.

Go for it.

there was a similar dumb barge based houseboat conversion featured on TV some while ago. Was is Grand Designs? Can't remember. But it was an enormous project, not helped by cutting the original barge about for windows, shortening, etc.

If you 'keep it simple stupid' it should be a very worthwhile project.

good luck.

moley , im in nottingham. so in and around the trent :cheers:

cafnod. i'd want it powered , which is the main bit i need to look into. ive got my own ideas on how things will fit/work but im doing my research as tried and tested is always good haha . my uncle built himself a 72ft narrow boat from scratch so ive got some help there :) . living space plan is a steel frame/ hefty steel sheet shell , steel frame/wooden board internal partitions sat on top which should give decent head room without having any bridge trouble. need some ideas on insulation/internal base-floor ... ? polystyrene and concrete? hmm

chris , dont want to chop the hull about too much , only for power/steering.

Hi Folks

This may be a silly question but this lighter is 85 feet long with a 19 foot beam, where would you cruise with it? :cheers:

Not a silly question... but the answer? nowhere, because it'd just be a static houseboat.

Although, you could do all of the Bridgwater with it! :)

Hi Folks

This may be a silly question but this lighter is 85 feet long with a 19 foot beam, where would you cruise with it? :cheers:

Yorkshire ouse, Trent.

Lots of these things up this way, Alan Pease had loads for sale, under 10k each, overplated in last year.

the ones im looking at are 78 x 14 external , 68? x 12 internal , which im thinking will make a nice sized boat. 4 rooms at 12 x 12 (minus walkway on 2 of them) 2 rooms at 7 x 12 (minus walkway) and 6 x 12 for engine space. still on the reasearch though, making sure i can get it here/ ideas of engine fitting when its out for recon so it wont need lifting again once here and as said , mooring costs :cheers: got to be cheaper than buying and keeping a house though and thats my only other alternative.

Yorkshire ouse, Trent.

Lots of these things up this way, Alan Pease had loads for sale, under 10k each, overplated in last year.

Yes it would probably fit the Ouse but according to Jim Shead it won't fit on the Trent, his site quotes:-

River Trent

Lock sizes vary but the maximum dimensions for craft navigating the waterway are as follows. Derwent Mouth to Meadow Lane Lock (Nottingham Canal): Length 81 foot, beam 14 foot 6 inches. From Meadow Lane Lock to the tidal river: Length 165 foot, beam 18 foot 6 inches.

Unquote

But it does not matter anyway, as Ste is looking for a smaller craft.

Best of luck with the project Ste