Multiple canal trips??

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Planning a visit next year around September. Have already decided on a week on the L & L , but now thinking of another week, perhaps on the Shroppie. Think i know the answer but if i dont ask, i'll never know. Are there such things as discounts / incentives on 2 separate canals ? I dont wish to go exclusively with one of the big companies as i have already set my heart on a small independant on the LL. Thought there may be some unadvertised incentives, e.g. a deal with a cottage rental? Thanks all.

Derek

I have always presumed that you get a discount if you book two weeks because the hire company is saved the expense of turning the boat round (i.e.cleaning etc.) ready for the next customer. If you hired from two different places even with the same company then they wouldn't get the saving so I guess they wouldn't give the discount. No harm asking though!

I did the L and L this year and had a great time even though it was pouring with rain!

Nick

I have always presumed that you get a discount if you book two weeks because the hire company is saved the expense of turning the boat round (i.e.cleaning etc.) ready for the next customer. If you hired from two different places even with the same company then they wouldn't get the saving so I guess they wouldn't give the discount. No harm asking though!

I did the L and L this year and had a great time even though it was pouring with rain!

Nick

The 2/3 week discount is a double edged sword. It is normal to offer a discount. As you rightly say, there is a saving on cleaning costs but....on a 2/3 week holiday guests will tend to travel much further from base meaning that should there be a fault call out, the need to empty a toilet or fuel the boat costs will actually far outweigh the cleaning cost saving.

For the big companies such as Alvechurch, Black Prince et al not as much of a problem as they have a network of bases and on call engineers but for the smaller companies it can be a challenge.

One of our friends in the industry based in the north hired a boat for 4 weeks. He received a call to say the boat had lost drive. No prob, where are you he says. "London" came the response!

Planning a visit next year around September. Have already decided on a week on the L & L , but now thinking of another week, perhaps on the Shroppie. Think i know the answer but if i dont ask, i'll never know. Are there such things as discounts / incentives on 2 separate canals ? I dont wish to go exclusively with one of the big companies as i have already set my heart on a small independant on the LL. Thought there may be some unadvertised incentives, e.g. a deal with a cottage rental? Thanks all.

Derek

Hi Derek, We are Decadence Afloat a small private boat co but we are on the River Soar, part of Leicester Ring. www.canalboatforhire.co.uk. Look us up, one day you might like to give us a try

Best wishes

Sue

One of our friends in the industry based in the north hired a boat for 4 weeks. He received a call to say the boat had lost drive. No prob, where are you he says. "London" came the response!

Ah, that rings bells from a hire-boat holiday many years ago (back when fuel was always included...).

Us: "Hello. We've run out of diesel. Do you want us to fill up and keep the receipt?"

Piddle Ditch Knackered Boats: "You can't have."

Us: "We have. Really."

PDKB: "That's impossible. Where are you?"

Us: "Gloucester."

PDKB: "Ok, maybe you have run out of diesel."

Heritage Narrowboats have a cottage overlooking the Macclesfield Canal with a possible combined cottage/boat hire:

From their website:

Two "Mix" Holidays: A two-destination holiday could also be taken with Heritage narrowboats, spending one week in the cottage and one week on board a narrow boat cruising around the picturesque Cheshire canals.

http://www.heritagen....uk/cottage.htm

Stewey