kingsground narrowboats...

crosser

Featured Posts

are they still in buisness? just wondered as i was flicking through an old canal mag and noticed there local to me..... also in this advert it says there just starting to build a small marina at enslow mill warf... did they ever finish it as i never thought there was one there, the mag is dated dec 04...

are they still in buisness? just wondered as i was flicking through an old canal mag and noticed there local to me..... also in this advert it says there just starting to build a small marina at enslow mill warf... did they ever finish it as i never thought there was one there, the mag is dated dec 04...

Website link

Hi Crosser

One of their boats is the test boat in Canalboat and Inland Waterways, July 2006 edition

Address given as: 103 Heyford Business Park

Upper Heyford

Bicester

Oxon

OX25 5HA

Hello Crosser,

I can categorically state that Kingsground are very much still in business - I was at their premises at Upper Heyford just last week. They were also displaying a boat (Wild Cherry) at Crick on the 'Land Marina'. Their moorings are at Enslow, just up from the Rock of Gibralter pub, but are completely unsigned. As I understand it they just have the 'layby' moorings there, with new facilities (Showers & Loos etc) still to be completed.

If you are looking for a builder then I'd say drop by and have a chat, they are all really nice people. They do operate at the upper end of the market though.....

Yes Kingsground are very much in business and we have our sheared boat based at the new Enslow Mill moorings. These are in the process of being developed and I believe will have a full range of services when finished. When I was there a few weeks ago there were still only limited services but we were told that they were planning on having pump out available this month and fuel at some point as well. I do not know if this has happened though.

Edited by Dreamer

If you look closely at the boat shown in the photograph above, the stern

is not the usual narrowboat vertical round stern - it slopes down to the water.

I know this as a slipper stern.

Mark

Mark - can you explain what a "slipper stern" is? ;) (Picture would be useful)

Peter

Edited by NB Willawaw

61'3" according to Jim Shead and yes she is a Kingsground built boat.

Must be something really deceptive about the photo! Ours is 62' and this looks much longer. Could it be all the windows? We've got 5 portholes and a side hatch each side...

If you look closely at the boat shown in the photograph above, the stern

is not the usual narrowboat vertical round stern - it slopes down to the water.

I know this as a slipper stern.

Mark

Mark - thanks for that.

• 1 year later...
Must be something really deceptive about the photo! Ours is 62' and this looks much longer. Could it be all the windows? We've got 5 portholes and a side hatch each side...

Yes Annie's Launch is only 61'3". She was built by Kingsground on a G and J Reeves Hull 10/6/4, and launched August 2003 as 'Chef's Launch'. Annie saw the boat in August 2005 on the K and A with only 150 hours running time on the engine, and bought her for use as a floating and cruising restaurant in November 2005. Due to stoppages, she was taken by road from the Thames at Caversham to the Lee Stort junction where she was craned in (I have the scary photos, can post), and then cruised up the Stort. She was moored over winter at Hallingbury Mill just south of Bishop's Stortford, and then taken to a better mooring (from the point of view of operating her as a business) at Parndon Mill.

She did about 40 cruises in her first season in 2006, following which she was dry docked and re-blacked. Perhaps due to the less favourable weather in 2007, she did closer to 30 cruises in the second season. There are currently 750 engine hours running time on the counter. She is now preparing for her third season.

Thanks for your interest

Paul

Skipper

Annie's Launch