Thames mooring

Tigerr

Featured Posts

Taking the boat onto the Thames in a couple of weeks, with the intention of it being used by a relay of family over the summer, between Sonning & Lechlade. There will be some weeks though when the boat will need to be moored up alone. Previous trips I have noticed the Thames is a bit scant on moorings and many have severe restrictions.

What do others do with this sort of challenge? Do I need to secure a base on the river - Caversham? (shocking cost!) How about mooring up in Oxford and leaving the boat for a week or so - is that an OK thing to do?

Thanks.

There are 7 day, 48hour and 14 day moorings on the Oxford...if that is any help and I have seen several boats moored for longer periods of time on certain spots in the countryside on the river.

Edited by Bones

Taking the boat onto the Thames in a couple of weeks, with the intention of it being used by a relay of family over the summer, between Sonning & Lechlade. There will be some weeks though when the boat will need to be moored up alone. Previous trips I have noticed the Thames is a bit scant on moorings and many have severe restrictions.

What do others do with this sort of challenge? Do I need to secure a base on the river - Caversham? (shocking cost!) How about mooring up in Oxford and leaving the boat for a week or so - is that an OK thing to do?

Thanks.

Hi.

You will find that in Oxford that there are plenty of 24hr moorings but you will probably have to pay if you want to stay longer. There are some excellent moorings between Osney lock and Osney Bridge but you will be charged an arm and a leg if you want to stay longer. Probably Bossoms Boatyard may be able to help. Give them a call and see.

Whatever you do please note that it is not safe to moor between Osney Loch and Folly Bridge. Even if you are staying on the boat you will be prey to all sorts of Oxford low life, druggies and dross. In saying that, Oxford is a wonderful vibrant city and well worth exploring. It is just that the dross etc gravitate to that area at night. Even the locals will not walk that towpath at night.

Have a phone around to the lock keepers on the upper reaches. They are a really good bunch and in general always ready to help. You will be charged at locks for mooring but the lockies are always around to keep an eye on your boat. I think this is the best bet for a secure mooring. Also, if you want to moor just outside Lechlade you could try giving Bob at The Trout pub a call. He is a very decent type and may be able to fit you in on a short term mooring. The pub incidentally serves excellent food and beer.

Anyway, I hope this may help and that you have a good cruise in this little gem of a river.

Kind regards.

Harnser.

Thank for the insight.

Given the amount of rain we've had recently and that the Thames has been on Red Boards - that does not only mean "strong flows" but is triggered by the fact that all weirs are drawn fully. The result is that EA no longer have control of river levels. As was seen on this forum a NB was left in a precarious position above Wallingford - tipped over at quite an angle.

So seeing that it's a wet summer and no end to the wetness I'd suggest that leaving a boat unattended for any length of time is NOT a good idea.

Given the amount of rain we've had recently and that the Thames has been on Red Boards - that does not only mean "strong flows" but is triggered by the fact that all weirs are drawn fully. The result is that EA no longer have control of river levels. As was seen on this forum a NB was left in a precarious position above Wallingford - tipped over at quite an angle.

So seeing that it's a wet summer and no end to the wetness I'd suggest that leaving a boat unattended for any length of time is NOT a good idea.

I fully agree with OldGoat in this respect, he has raised a really valid point. The water levels do fluctuate considerably in this type of weather on the Thames. In my original post I was really concerned with the fact that you wanted a secure mooring. If you do contact the lock keepers regarding a mooring it may be worth asking if your mooring lines are going to be tended on the lock moorings in your absense.

Harnser.

I fully agree with OldGoat in this respect, he has raised a really valid point. The water levels do fluctuate considerably in this type of weather on the Thames. In my original post I was really concerned with the fact that you wanted a secure mooring. If you do contact the lock keepers regarding a mooring it may be worth asking if your mooring lines are going to be tended on the lock moorings in your absense.

Harnser.

There are very few casual moorings at locks and these are normally limited to a couple of days at maximim - especially in high season.

There are very few casual moorings at locks and these are normally limited to a couple of days at maximim - especially in high season.

Looks like he will have to look towards boatyards then if a secure mooring is wanted for a week or so. Bye bye pennies :( .

Harnser.