sabb engine

owen

Featured Posts

hi just wondering what horsepower sabb engines where put in narrow boats if any where cheers

The Sabbs most commonly found in narrow boats were either (in my experience!) a single version of "a bit less than 10HP" or a very nice sounding twin of "a bit less than 20 HP". Someone will know the exact models and powers.

I believe the single was available quite a lot longer than the twin.

The twin could give the right hull a very good turn of speed, and sound remarkably "traditional".

We have been told Jonathan Hewitt at Union canal Carriers is "the man" for these engines - I have a feeling that some boats in the UCCCo fleet may still be Sabb powered, but could be wrong on that.

EDITED:

Looks like last produced was the "single" GG model, quoted in a reference I have found as 10HP @ 1,800 RPM

Edited by alan_fincher

The Sabbs most commonly found in narrow boats were either (in my experience!) a single version of "a bit less than 10HP" or a very nice sounding twin of "a bit less than 20 HP". Someone will know the exact models and powers.

The twin could give the right hull a very good turn of speed, and sound remarkably "traditional".

We have been told Jonathan Hewitt at Union canal Carriers is "the man" for these engines - I have a feeling that some boats in the UCCCo fleet may still be Sabb powered, but could be wrong on that.

EDITED:

Looks like last produced was the "single" GG model, quoted in a reference I have found as 10HP @ 1,800 RPM

Yes he is, and yes they do, in their "Adventure Fleet" boats

EDITED:

would that size of engine 10 hp push a narrow boat say 56 foot along or would it struggle what would you say is the max length that the single cylinder 10hp would push

I had a Sabb HG 18hp twin in a 40' Peter Nicholls hull and it pushed it along nicely, plenty of black smoke on full revs, so probably a touch over-propped.

Sounded nice though, 'melifluous' as a reviewer once described it.

Easy to repair as they're built like a motorbike engine where the barrels lift off the crankcase without having to remove the whole lot. I had the cylinder block metal stitched due to frost damage, new rings, gaskets, timing chain and valves reground. Parts cost a fortune (compared with my old Triumph Bonneville) but were readily available from a place in Southsea, Hampshire.

Unfortunately, this was in 1992, so can't comment on parts availability today.

I had a Sabb HG 18hp twin in a 40' Peter Nicholls hull and it pushed it along nicely, plenty of black smoke on full revs, so probably a touch over-propped.

Sounded nice though, 'melifluous' as a reviewer once described it.

Easy to repair as they're built like a motorbike engine where the barrels lift off the crankcase without having to remove the whole lot. I had the cylinder block metal stitched due to frost damage, new rings, gaskets, timing chain and valves reground. Parts cost a fortune (compared with my old Triumph Bonneville) but were readily available from a place in Southsea, Hampshire.

Unfortunately, this was in 1992, so can't comment on parts availability today.

when did they stop manufacture and how much do you think the 10 hp engine would cost

would that size of engine 10 hp push a narrow boat say 56 foot along or would it struggle what would you say is the max length that the single cylinder 10hp would push

I had a Sabb 10hp in my 43 foot boat, which I think was about the max length. Of course it will push a 56 foot boat but not fast and no stopping power or power for rivers.

My single cylinder Sabb sounded wonderful, far nicer than the twin. It also never managed to rev anywhere near to the max 1800 rpm.

Casp'

when did they stop manufacture and how much do you think the 10 hp engine would cost

Mine was 1979, any earlier and they have a weird gearbox set up where a special (expensive) propeller is needed to achieve reverse. I sold mine a couple of years ago for £600, it went into a little sea going fishing boat.

We have a 22hp Sabb 2g engine in our 57 foot boat. Looks and sounds lovely in its own engine room. It's powerful enough for the tidal Ouse and Trent with the tides.

Twelve years back Bullfinch was only 45 foot and had a Sabb 10hp engine which was fine too.

Spares are from Sleeman and Hawkins and are on the dear side.

Fuel and oil filters, alternator and starter motor have all been source or repaired locally and cheaply.

Local lorry engine diesel engine factors have found me fuel supply parts.

All this sounds like its unreliable which is very far from the case. The engine is 1977 and has needed those bits looking at over the years.

We very confidently use our boats for months on end.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Sabb 10hp in my 43 foot boat, which I think was about the max length. Of course it will push a 56 foot boat but not fast and no stopping power or power for rivers.

My single cylinder Sabb sounded wonderful, far nicer than the twin. It also never managed to rev anywhere near to the max 1800 rpm.

Casp'

Mine was 1979, any earlier and they have a weird gearbox set up where a special (expensive) propeller is needed to achieve reverse. I sold mine a couple of years ago for £600, it went into a little sea going fishing boat.

Mine was late '60s, in a Nicolson 32 sailing boat. It didn't have a special prop for reverse, but no doubt there were different variations. I can't recall what the gearbox was.

Very reliable, simple engines, with a lovely slow thumping sound.

Mine was late '60s, in a Nicolson 32 sailing boat. It didn't have a special prop for reverse, but no doubt there were different variations. I can't recall what the gearbox was.

Very reliable, simple engines, with a lovely slow thumping sound.

Ditto in a Sadler 34, never had a problem with it in 5 years of ownership.

• 10 months later...

Hi

New to site so don't know if you're still reading this string.

I've got a sabb engine in my 1965 Barrney boat. It says in the handbook (original) that the engine was 9hp but as Scandanavian horses are particularly strong it was upgraded to 10hp for the rest of Europe.

I also have some letters one of which says that if th starter motor fails then a Ford carpri or Vauxhall Avenger starter will fit and one can be obtained from any motor breakers for about £3!

Starting can be difficult, especially in the cold. There is a hole down which a 'cigarette' it calls it in the book but I think it's a taper, can be pushed to pre heat the diesel. There is no glo plug. I know it's not good for her but I find a quick squirt of easy start is all she needs to fire first time.Once started she'll fire first time every time throughout the day.

It's a fantastic engine and although it never seems to build up much speed it's more than fast enough for canals and rivers and can pull in a straight line through the strongest of winds.

I'd say if you have one you're very lucky and if you carry out the basic services it'll outlast you.

Hi

New to site so don't know if you're still reading this string.

I've got a sabb engine in my 1965 Barrney boat. It says in the handbook (original) that the engine was 9hp but as Scandanavian horses are particularly strong it was upgraded to 10hp for the rest of Europe.

I also have some letters one of which says that if th starter motor fails then a Ford carpri or Vauxhall Avenger starter will fit and one can be obtained from any motor breakers for about £3!

Starting can be difficult, especially in the cold. There is a hole down which a 'cigarette' it calls it in the book but I think it's a taper, can be pushed to pre heat the diesel. There is no glo plug. I know it's not good for her but I find a quick squirt of easy start is all she needs to fire first time.Once started she'll fire first time every time throughout the day.

It's a fantastic engine and although it never seems to build up much speed it's more than fast enough for canals and rivers and can pull in a straight line through the strongest of winds.

I'd say if you have one you're very lucky and if you carry out the basic services it'll outlast you.

For cold starting, are you aware that you can put a few squirts of oil into the centre of the oil cop on the rocker cover? This is carried down a tube into the air intake so that it gets drawn into the cylinder and temporarily raises the compression ratio. The book should describe this operation, probably kinder than easy start. I'm assuming yours is a model G, not sure whether this applies to other models.

The 'cigarette' is a self-igniting fuse, which looks a bit like a 'sweet cigarette'. remember those? 'Zundfix' is the usual brand.

You don't need Easy Start with one of these:-

http://youtu.be/RabMAF7twHI

Tim

I'm looking for some help regarding alternators for my Sabb G. When I got it, the orignal had been replaced by an Lucas LRA100 from with the Mick Sivewright mount modification. That packed in while out cruising and I picked up a higher power alternator that fitted the mountings. No markings but was told it fitted a land rover. Now I want to use a Stirling Advanced altenerator regulator. Tried taking it apart to get to the brushes and can't get to them, can't get it back together and have now broken the brushes trying to do so. So need a new alternator. I seem to be able to pick up an LRA100 easily and looks like the brushes are very accessible. But can anyone advise anything more powerful that will fit, isn't expensive and I can get to the brushes. The oficial Sabb alternator is unaffordable.

Regards,

Mick

Mick, We have a 2G Sabb in our 57' boat. The alternator is a 70amp Volvo Penta type which I believe was fitted to Renault/Peugot cars back in the 70s. This alternator is very unlikely to be found now in a regular breakers yard but maybe one dealing in old ones might be able to help. Our alternator was refurbished completely in 2010 by West Lancs Auto Electric Ltd in Preston for £90 and it has worked perfectly ever since. It happily charges four domestic and one starter battery for us but I admit our power use is reasonably frugal with LED lights but the fridge is also on constantly.

By chance West Lancs happened to have another alternator of the right type and they refurbished this as a spare for me. Their number is 01772 705249. They seem to be able to resurrect even the most hopeless looking cases from what I observe.

I am fairly certain that this type of alternator would fit a Sabb G like yours also.

We have had a lot of help from Jonathon Hewitt at Union Canal Carriers in Braunston.01788890784. I am sure he could help.

The numbers on our alternators are LRA01246 and LRA 01656

A few pics. One of the alternator on the engine and the others of of our spare.

2013-05-01145113_zps791d6c9c.jpg

2013-05-01144854_zps7e59863c.jpg

2013-05-01145130_zps4733f6ea.jpg

2013-05-01145106_zps1b30e488.jpg