Pedalo

CanalWalker

Featured Posts

If someone wanted to take a pedalo onto a canal with 4 people on it would they need a liscence or insurance?

Anything that floats on a canal requires a licence.

There was a chap on Waterworld that converted a push-bike with two floats and that needed a licence, I would guess that third party insurance would be also necessarry.

Yeah, everything techincal needs a leicence of somesort.

- Althought you can get day liecences, or a book of day leicencse.

- This is what members of the SBA do when they take there trailable steam lanches on canals.

You dont need a bss however..

Daniel

If someone wanted to take a pedalo onto a canal with 4 people on it would they need a liscence or insurance?

If that someone already owns a (licensed) boat then the pedalo could be seen as a tender to that boat and be able to be used on their license.

Or have I missed something?

If that someone already owns a (licensed) boat then the pedalo could be seen as a tender to that boat and be able to be used on their license.

Or have I missed something?

I've had this 'discussion' with bw on a couple of occasions. Tenders are only issued with licence discs for a 'parent' boat (don't know the correct term) with a river only licence. If you have a canal and river licence then you can't have a tender. Despite this I know (to say hello to) a retired couple who ply the canal system, dragging a small grp cruiser as a shed. They have a canal & river licence for their steel narrowboat and a tender licence for the cruiser. BW deny the existence of this combination unless I tell them the name of the boat in question. Obviously I'm not going to spoil it for a very nice couple who are successfully, if unknowingly, bucking the system. Though apparently there is a dedicated phone-line for reporting these foul criminals.

If you can remove the pedalo from the canal 'without mechanical assistance' however, you can get a portable boat licence which is £31 per annum. I believe you still need insurance but not a bsc.