hr ainscough barge

Guest leeparkinson

Featured Posts

B.C.N. 2267 was formally a Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. day boat, and I suspect it was included in their 1976 fleet disposal. B.C.N. 2267 was seen at Linslade on 26 December 1977.

I have the B.C.N. day boat converted by Alex Prowse into FLOATING CASCADE GALLERY as gauge number B.C.N. 14115, purchased from yourselves in November 1977. I have an incline that PINEWOOD (B.C.N. 2267) was sold by yourselves and converted into the house boat PINEWOOD / DUMBSTILL / ZAPOROZHYE COSSACK. The B.W.B. index number for this boat is dated 1992 suggesting its date of conversion.

Your records are far more likelyto be correct than my hazy memory, sitting in France drinking far too much wine.

Here are a couple more pictures of Cadellis on the river Lee probably around 1981. Cadellis was being used to help lay the electricity cables under the towpath at the time.

Carl

I tried to do a multi-quote, but no success. Thanks for the photos Carl - they should help leeparkinson with sight of the gunwhales. I've no particular recollection of doing that job on the Lee, and with Towcester in attendance too, though I do recall the cable laying contract in general. Now off to open another bottle of Beaujolais to see if that helps overcome memory loss.

Ed: ...... and spelling!

God, and we've got two Australians coming to be shown how to drive a barge in a couple of hours! . :captain:

Edited by Tam & Di

Did not realise it was the gunwhales that leeparkinson was interested in. Here are a couple of pictures which I think look like they were taken on the Hertfordshire Union, could have been the river Lee. It was a long time ago and my memory has also been hazed by wine over the years.

CadellisLondon2.jpg

CadellisLondon4.jpg

Carl

CCF14012010_00018.jpg

A few photos inside Viktoria when she was owned by Roger Lorenz and was used to build my boat Jack. 1990.

Bugger, wrong way up....Lean to the left to see the hold of Victoria, Banstead alongside and (I think) Swallow, ex Cowburn and Cowper. Happy Days.

Edited by Travis

Guest leeparkinson

Did not realise it was the gunwhales that leeparkinson was interested in. Here are a couple of pictures which I think look like they were taken on the Hertfordshire Union, could have been the river Lee. It was a long time ago and my memory has also been hazed by wine over the years.

CadellisLondon2.jpg

CadellisLondon4.jpg

Carl

Thanks for the pictures they will be a great help to us because all her decks were cut off when she was on the coal job to wigan

Strange the way the human mind works.

I had a restless night & to pass the time was trying to work out in my head a detail of converting my fixed wheelbox to be folding, at about 4 am, when suddenly into my head came 'Cadellis, Froom Street, Chorley'. Beyond the fact that I'd been following this thread, I hadn't given it more thought and I hadn't had cause to remember that address since 1965 when we bought the Edith from Albert Blundell. I visited his home, for that was it, only once.

Tim

Guest leeparkinson

Strange the way the human mind works.

I had a restless night & to pass the time was trying to work out in my head a detail of converting my fixed wheelbox to be folding, at about 4 am, when suddenly into my head came 'Cadellis, Froom Street, Chorley'. Beyond the fact that I'd been following this thread, I hadn't given it more thought and I hadn't had cause to remember that address since 1965 when we bought the Edith from Albert Blundell. I visited his home, for that was it, only once.

Tim

its a strange thing you can solve a lot of problems in your sleep must be were the saying sleep on it comes from

Yes - sleeping on a problem is a well known strategy for solving a great many problems. Provided you set the mind the challenge before retiring, then leave it alone. Sometimes you wake suddenly and the solution just 'pops' into your head. There's untapped power in the subconscious that many fail to realise.

B.C.N. 2267 was formally a Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. day boat, and I suspect it was included in their 1976 fleet disposal. B.C.N. 2267 was seen at Linslade on 26 December 1977.

I have the B.C.N. day boat converted by Alex Prowse into FLOATING CASCADE GALLERY as gauge number B.C.N. 14115, purchased from yourselves in November 1977. I have an incline that PINEWOOD (B.C.N. 2267) was sold by yourselves and converted into the house boat PINEWOOD / DUMBSTILL / ZAPOROZHYE COSSACK. The B.W.B. index number for this boat is dated 1992 suggesting its date of conversion.

Yes, it was the one we sold to Alex that we knew as a hotholer. I'd forgotten we had three of those joey-like things. The one we sold to Alex did not ever get a ".....wood" name, and didn't do a lot of work with us. "Rosewood" we bought from Thames Water Authority (in a field, and needing rebottoming) and was their TWA A94 if you keep any record of them. One (I think it must have been BCN2267/"Pinewood") we bought from Balfour Kilpatrick during the cable laying contract. That would be the one in Carl's photos.

Edited by Tam & Di

just as an aside I remember towing this dayboat around the canals of London, mainly the lower Regents canal, the Hertfordshire Union and the river Lee loaded with what was called mortor mix for Balfour Kilpatrick. It was towed with cross staps even when loaded which as I remember seemed to work well. There would be a gang off Irish guys that had spent the early hours of the morning drinking in pubs near Smithfield market which as I remember being told were open in the early hours of the morning. They would shovel the mortar mix into barrows and put it into the trenches with the electric cables. I cannot remember whether the towing boat was Stamford or Towcester as I steered both at various times. These chaps would spend all day shoveling mortar mix and get paid cash in hand and would leave at the end of the day and go back to the pub. They were picked up each morning to do it all again. I had the easy job of loading the mortar mix and delivering it to the destination.

Carl Ryan

Smithfield would open at 4am, and many of the local pubs soon after at 6am.

I remember driving the early turns on Green Line through Cricklewood, and seeing hoards of Irish (and others) crowding into transit vans by The Crown around 06.50, and doubtless some would have left earlier. Don't do that any more.

As a researcher of 'historic' narrow boats I am getting a little out of my field here but.......

BLACK PRINCE was renamed BURSCOUGH II (not BURSCOUGH 2) in 1946 in order to minimise confusion with the Rio-Cape Line Ltd. steamer BLACK PRINCE (exEMPIRE REGENT) that also traded on the River Mersey.

I consulted Geoff Wheat's 'Leeds & Liverpool Canal Craft' and he states:

"Ainscoughs' boat "Burscough No.2" was originally named "Black Prince" and, with working in the Mersey estuary, was registered at Lloyds. A steamship company wanted to use the name and bought the right from Ainscoughs, who then renamed their barge."

The following is an incomplete record of the Ainscough iron/steel boats. Burscough II is probably the correct name, but the book about Monks also uses Burscough 2 or No2. Unfortunately, my photos of the boat do not show the name sufficiently clearly.

Also from Geoff's book is this photo which is credited courtesy: J Parkinson. It shows the name clearly as painted on as BURSCOUGH2.

Burscough2andClaymore-AinscoughsemptyatStanleyDockLiverpool-JParkinson.jpg

I consulted Geoff Wheat's 'Leeds & Liverpool Canal Craft' and he states:

"Ainscoughs' boat "Burscough No.2" was originally named "Black Prince" and, with working in the Mersey estuary, was registered at Lloyds. A steamship company wanted to use the name and bought the right from Ainscoughs, who then renamed their barge."

Also from Geoff's book is this photo which is credited courtesy: J Parkinson. It shows the name clearly as painted on as BURSCOUGH2.

Burscough2andClaymore-AinscoughsemptyatStanleyDockLiverpool-JParkinson.jpg

That is a superb pic of these two L&L barges at Stanley Dock. :cheers:

Tam - when did you sell PINEWOOD ?

Don't want to hijack the thread, but as Pinewood/Rosewood and tug White Heather got into it to show how handsome Mike C was here is a photo Jason has just sent me of him out on the Thames and with a much tidier tow.

rosepinewood.jpg

Don't want to hijack the thread, but as Pinewood/Rosewood and tug White Heather got into it to show how handsome Mike C was here is a photo Jason has just sent me of him out on the Thames and with a much tidier tow.

What was/is White Heather? Is it a Tosher with extra superstructure, or something completely different?

Tim

What was/is White Heather? Is it a Tosher with extra superstructure, or something completely different?

Tim

She was built 1932 by Watsons of Gainsborough for Borough of St Marylebone for use towing rubbish barges on the Paddington Arm and Regent's Canal. Now owned (I believe this is current) by Mike Adams who also owns(ed) the river tug Silverlit, last seen here in France a couple of years ago.

Edited by Tam & Di

One from a Christmas 'do' at The Shovel'.

Mid eighties

WHITEHEATHERGeneral028Medium.jpg

Had some poke did that.

Indeed it did, but it did lose to Silverlit in a tug of war event at the Brentford rally at that time. Mike Adams eventually fetched up owning both of them though - he obviously felt he had to buy off the opposition :rolleyes: .

Edited by Tam & Di

Here are a couple of photos of White Heather. I think taken at the top of Hanwell. I think they must have been taken on the way to Brentford so probably in the early eighties.

img580.jpg

img581.jpg

Carl

Yes, that's it as Jason bought it.

I remember seeing it like this but without the wheelhouse, I didn’t realise that Jason had fitted the fashion plates (Ostimer) - I knew that he had fitted the steering quadrant cover. Were the fashion plates refitted to original or a Jason Mod?