Its Raining...I'm cruising.....

DeanS

Featured Posts

Or a canopy and heating ;)

tsk wimps...

what you really need is a pramhood that you can't see out of when it rains....adds a bit of spice to any journey... :lol:

tsk wimps...

what you really need is a pramhood that you can't see out of when it rains....adds a bit of spice to any journey... :lol:

Yes,i do wonder how much those pramhoods restrict vision in wet weather.

When we had a seagoing boat i much preferred driving it from the upstairs position,have actually crossed the english channel several times sitting on the flybridge.

The main advantage was that you get a better view ,and did not have to listen to people being sea-sick downstairs!

enjoy your cruise Dean.

Yes,i do wonder how much those pramhoods restrict vision in wet weather.

When we had a seagoing boat i much preferred driving it from the upstairs position,have actually crossed the english channel several times sitting on the flybridge.

The main advantage was that you get a better view ,and did not have to listen to people being sea-sick downstairs!

enjoy your cruise Dean.

Some roll up at the front which ours does with a bit of a faff, that then of course negates any protection offered, doesn't matter so much if the rain is vertical but if it's horizontal and coming from the front :rolleyes:

I have a Lister engine room....so when you open the interleading door to the back cabin...and stand/steer from inside the back doors, you get a lovely through draught of warm air....and then after a year on the boat, I just figured what that black holder thing was...wife had bought an umbrella with a straight handle...in it went....dry as a bone...marvelous....cruised from Picadilly Village, down the Rochdale 9 , onto the Bridgewater, and down to Lymm. Cat almost escaped at Sale, but just checked, and he's currently stretched out in front of the coal stove. ;-) (hate canopies....went for a trip once on a canopied boat and the wind kept blowing it down :)

One of my favourites - cruising in the rain. No-one comes out to bother you, you are prepared for the weather and the world is all yours

A good thunderstorm is even better

Richard

I have a Lister engine room....so when you open the interleading door to the back cabin...and stand/steer from inside the back doors, you get a lovely through draught of warm air....and then after a year on the boat, I just figured what that black holder thing was...wife had bought an umbrella with a straight handle...in it went....dry as a bone...marvelous....cruised from Picadilly Village, down the Rochdale 9 , onto the Bridgewater, and down to Lymm. Cat almost escaped at Sale, but just checked, and he's currently stretched out in front of the coal stove. ;-) (hate canopies....went for a trip once on a canopied boat and the wind kept blowing it down :)

excellent i love cruisng in the rain but i much prefer the sun haha!

when i was out on Larch over the weekend i discovered how good it is to have a stove In the boatmans cabin lit as your crusing along lovely and warm around your legs!

Ive just been on Lymm tv www.lymm.com/webcams if you go on to cam 5 its the moorings from Bridgewater house. There is a boat moored yup a light blue crusier stern with White and Yellow bands. I see this boat moored up everytime i go through Lymm. I often drive up for Lunch and go the golden flecce. When we left Lymm on Sunday it was moored at just before the winding hole.

Ah that explains only 4 layers then.

The week after Cheshire~rose's and Dave's banter there was one day when that I had 6 layers on and at the end of the day I was still shivering - tiredness played a part too though I think

Hope its all going well Dean! Not the same here without you guys opposite and there's no one to talk to now!!!

Bet it was a bit bumpy in that wind yesterday?

After some wierd and wonderful manouvres, managed to wind the boat and exit the marina bow first:) wind was ok once we got between all the buildings. The cat wanted to go out today...i had to open a hatch and show it there was water and no where to go catch mice :) Our youngest kid wanted to make sure that no one could steal our marina spot while we are away...hehe:)

Yesterday my crew were having to cross streams flowing across the towpath into the canal. The by-washes were really vicious and I got one completely wrong and bounced into the lock off both sides. My Tilly hat, which keeps the rain off my glasses, reached saturation point during one of the torrential downpours in the afternoon and rain started dripping down my neck. Overall though, once I'd peeled of the waterproofs, the rest of my clothes were reasonably dry underneath.

Still, only 27 more locks to go up to Marsden then we'll have a nice long tunnel to keep us dry!